Loved it - to my surprise

User Rating: 9 | DOOM XONE

When I first heard Doom was making another game, I imagined it to be more like the scare your pants off Doom 3 was for Xbox. I am a big fan of the original Doom series, playing all of them on the PC and original PlayStation. When Doom 3 came out, it blew me away. It was and still is one of the most scary, heart pounding and intense games I had ever played (especially on nightmare where your health depletes 5 points every 5 seconds until it stops at 25), and stating that I love the horror genre would be an understatement. I felt that the game did a great job portraying hell into our realm and reality, and was honestly hoping for a similar experience with this most recent release in the franchise. I was disappointed when I heard that it was not, but I felt somewhat comforted hearing they were going back to their roots a little. Being the fan that I am of Doom, I had to pick it up and play it for myself. I was not too impressed at first, but as I progressed through the game, the pace, intensity, difficulty and fun factor increased exponentially. I found myself unable to put the controller down even to eat for just 5 minutes, and wanted to replay levels and check points for the sheer joy that I got from the intense battles that ensued, never once finding any of my moves or tactics being repeated keeping every battle fresh and exhilarating. I rate this game 9 out of 10 for: exceptional graphics, entertaining game play, a fitting and moving soundtrack, and for a better than decent story line (though I feel the last one was only implemented to have purpose and keep the game play moving).