What Might Have Been

#1 Posted by Mcbasilrocks (113 posts) -

So I know that all of our suspicions all along about this game have pretty much been proven right. But I thought it might be nice to take a look at what might have been. So let's start with this: http://www.destructoid.com/ul/238026-review-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/DBC_TV_4-620x.jpg

It's Dark Beauty Castle, sure. But note the sketch list in the upper left. Including the Fairy sketch. YOU CANNOT RETURN TO DARK BEAUTY CASTLE AFTER YOU COMPLETE IT. This was an early screenshot released, so evidently you were originally going to be able to revisit the castle. The people on Mean Street talking about it certainly hint at this too.

So anyway, thoughts anyone? And can you use your epic (ahem) location skills to dig up any more lost artifacts of what might have been?

#2 Posted by katydiddd (332 posts) -

Ah, did you check out a post on the Q & A Shortness Theory thread page 2
by Painette dated Mar 4, 2013 6:58 pm PT

"Mcbasilrocks, I read and opened every link you posted, and I really do commend you!

Epic Mickey 2 was awful and lacked any depth whatsoever, and I don't know whether to be sad or happy that I will never be able to play a Junction Point EM3.

BUT My epilogue was different.. it says "Use the wind drafts to glide across the ravine" and I have had it change once to "Using the turnstiles", but then back to the one about the ravine?

Any ideas?  I thought this had something to do with the water/river underground Mean street where you have to use the helicopter move to get across, but to no prevail..

when I went beneath the fountain in OsTown, it changed to the epilogue about the turnstiles ONCE, however, when I left underground of the fountain it changed back. weird."

End of quote, the whole post is at:

http://www.gamespot.com/disney-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/forum/epic-mickey-2-questions-and-answers-shortness-theory-conclusive-evidence-29336059/?page=1

As for me, I haven't been attentive to the "Pause Menu".  I hadn't even noticed the background in the ending until Mcbasilrocks pointed it out.  I hadn't cared about the other floating islands that were part of Wasteland before the quakes, and could have been visited and united again.

What I did care about was Page 4 in the "Instruction Booklet" that came in the game disk case that said, "and only the combined powers of Mickey and Oswald can restore this once-proud home for forgotten Toons."

DID  YOU  RESTORE  WASTELAND?  or was it still rent into many pieces -- some of which you didn't even visit?

After your good ending, after you return to Mean Street, what are the people on the street saying?  What might have been, if we had gotten the whole game?

#3 Posted by katydiddd (332 posts) -

I am riling.  Mcbasilrocks has proven that they didn't just truncate the written story and fail to incorporate some concept art.  They had actual, playable game segments, that were to be done after we had completed Mean Street and the three episodes, and have all 4 sketches. 

(and Alice in Wonderland was fairly developed)

And, knowing this, Warren Spector and Irvin Chavira still advertised the game as  EPIC  and charged full price.

#4 Posted by wildhoney66 (293 posts) -

i dunno what to say to this but i do wonder if Disney will make a 3rd? yes i know Juntion closed but i dunno i wonder if it is possible. just with people who can play the games and improve on the last game. games have flopped and still done sequels as far as i'm aware. 

#5 Posted by berethor099 (37 posts) -

i dunno what to say to this but i do wonder if Disney will make a 3rd? yes i know Juntion closed but i dunno i wonder if it is possible. just with people who can play the games and improve on the last game. games have flopped and still done sequels as far as i'm aware. 

wildhoney66

Unfortuneatly I'm going to say no.  Disney recently re-did their (not sure how to explain it) whole company.  In terms of who sees what, and what portions belong to where.  

For example, the video game dept.  could now be under the Merchandise part of the company.   Or perhaps it could be put under the animation/creative studio.  I really have no idea.  I just non the reconstructed the company.  

So most likely we will never see EM3.  Which really sucks.  The only way it would happen is if someone was so passionate about it that they approached Disney and got Disney interested in making a sequel.  

I think it's just easier for me to pretend like EM2 never existed. 

#6 Posted by wildhoney66 (293 posts) -

i believe the plan was to make 3 of them and i'd like to hope we would get at some point one more at least even if it's in 2 or 3 yeras from now. also i do have a question i don't have a 3DS but for those who have it how is that game?  so far i actually like EM 2 but i haven't beat the game yet to be fair so i dunno. well yet 

#7 Posted by katydiddd (332 posts) -

So, your people skills are going to have to find  ANOTHER  former Junction Point employee or knowledgeable (British) game journalist to break his contract of silence.

WHAT  DO  YOU  THINK  got cut out of EM2's "script that was finally settled on", due to time constraints?

1)  Return to Dark Beauty Castle with sketches;

2)  Alice in Wonderland as advertised;

3)  Epilogue to use the Ostown Turnstiles and Transportation Tubes or lower level to open a way forward;

4)  Epilogue with Wind Drafts (late in the game the position of the platforms holding chests changes in the first Underground).

5)  Manhole by Seth, behind the train station;

6)  Island seen from where Seth is, later with Rollercoaster;

7)  Restore Wasteland -- or at least fix  MY  fountain in Ostown

8)  Make talking to wasteland characters more contented, without continually wanting completion of more tasks;

9)  We know that the TV thing and Petes with Prescott was hastily thrown in -- but what was to be the real conclusion;

10)  MICKEY  MOUSE  needs to return home, because he is not a forgotten resident of wasteland, but is remembered with children visiting him every day.

WHAT  ELSE  MIGHT  HAVE  BEEN  in the script ?

#8 Posted by berethor099 (37 posts) -

i believe the plan was to make 3 of them and i'd like to hope we would get at some point one more at least even if it's in 2 or 3 yeras from now. also i do have a question i don't have a 3DS but for those who have it how is that game?  so far i actually like EM 2 but i haven't beat the game yet to be fair so i dunno. well yet 

wildhoney66

I actually played the demo on my 3DS.  It really has very little to do at all with past Epic Mickey games.  If anything I think the title was more of a PR stunt to generate more sales.  The game more resembles "Castle of Illusion" which was a mickey mouse game for the Sega, or NES I think.  

It's a 2D platformer.  Basically Mickey has to explore this castle and rescue all of the cartoons from the cartoon world.  Like scrooge Mcduck, and Beast from Beauty and the Beast.  Oswald makes a brief apperance in the beginning.  Explaning that Mizrabel's castle (evil witch from Sleeping Beauty) has arrived in Wasteland.  

You don't actually see any of wasteland or the characters from it.  ie. Gus/Pete Pan.  Oswald is the only one.  

You can paint/thin things by pausing the screen and tracing them down on the touch screen.  They also seemed to take some of the same music from the games.  

Here's a link to some gameplay of it if your interested. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-epic-mickey-power-of-illusion/2300-6833/