Is the game free to play?

#1 Posted by maggotcorpse81 (80 posts) -

Hi everyone,

Was thinking of getting the game on release, was just wondering if its a free to play game or do we need to pay per month?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by edgie18 (25 posts) -

Yes its free to play.

#3 Posted by Skepticck (25 posts) -

It's free to play in the sence that you don't pay per month but it is actually Buy to play as you have to pay for the game.

(59.99) for the standard version.

#4 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
^^ Just the answer I was looking for. I see the letter MMO and instantly assume some kind of monthly fee will follow.
#5 Posted by CruiserCaptain (546 posts) -

Okay, so free to play.But does that mean that it is Pay to Win? aka microtransactions? Which generally ends up favoring people that just drop tons of money on virtual crap to win? I understand the business model. But it rarely seems to work for anyone not droppng cash constantly.

#6 Posted by jmace1 (930 posts) -

No. It's a $60 upfront fee. You can buy a DLC season pass for around $30-45. At this time the only thing you can really purchase through microtransactions are "bits" which from what I can tell can only be used to purchase lock boxes which give the player a chance at obtaining high level gear, but it's still random so there's no guarantee. These lockboxes can also be obtained by playing the game and participating in Arkfalls.

#7 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

Okay, so free to play.But does that mean that it is Pay to Win? aka microtransactions? Which generally ends up favoring people that just drop tons of money on virtual crap to win? I understand the business model. But it rarely seems to work for anyone not droppng cash constantly.

CruiserCaptain

Now that I have started playing I can say that it is just a one time purchase for the game - no subscription fees.

There is a cash shop where you can use real money to buy items and bonuses for the game, but none of these are directly ways to give you an advantage over other players. Most of the items on offer as cosmetic - costumes, helmets and different skins for vehicles - if you want to look different or stand out in some way then these may be for you. you can buy additional inventory space, which seems handy early on, but you do gain inventory space naturally as you level up, so likely not so useful later on.

There are some short term boosts you can buy - a 24h boost to how fast you earn XP, weapon skills, reputation, scrip (in game currency) and you can choose whether you want this boost to apply just to you, your group, or your clan if you are in one.

The final bit, and really the only one that can impact your in game performance is loot crates - these are boxes that contain 2-4 randomly generated items. These are available in game and can be unlocked by playing normally, or you can use the cash shop to buy them, but they are still randomly generated items - you could get something good, you could get something not so good.

There are no specific weapons to buy from the cash shop - you can't go looking for a high damage sniper rifle or rapid firing machine gun. Discussion of weapon stats is a thread in itself but the short version is that a lvl 1 sniper rifle will have the same damage stat as the same model of sniper rifle at lvl 1000. Other random factors and the mods that you apply will have an impact as will your choice of skills, but this is what allows high level players to play alongside new players without one being massively overpowered. For instance I just placed 1st in a major arkfall event with my character (EGO lvl 210) while playing alongside people who were EGO lvl 750+.

We are still only in the first week, and it is quite possible that the cash shop will gain more items over time, but so far there has been no indication that this will be pay to win.

#8 Posted by dbene (237 posts) -
If I rent the game or buy it used ....how much does it cost to "activate" the online capabilities? like the online pass ?
#9 Posted by TheTenth10 (3085 posts) -

I saw nothing a bout an "online pass", I created my account on the official Defiance site, choosing PS3 as console, and I got some codes for bonuses in the Limited edition pack, but no code for "online pass". So I guess if you buy the game used there's no problem, you just either play the game with your PSN name or create an account on the Defiance site.