This is an excellent game by any standards.

User Rating: 9.2 | Dark Messiah of Might and Magic PC
Dude... 6.7 from Gamespot. WTF? What were they thinking? I don't know whether to be mad, confused, or if I'm taking crazy pills. I'm usually very critical and I think Dark Messiah is one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Sure, installation is long and Steam is quirky, but once it running it's the balls. I've also heard there are some bugs on certain configurations (it runs smooth as silk for me). The graphics and art direction are breathtaking, like HL2 on steroids. Character models, animations, and AI are all top notch. The gameplay is great with the hand-to-hand variety, magic, and character customization. Especially like killing badies with the evironment (wall spikes, pushing off cliffs, fire etc.) My only complaint is the physics are a little weird sometimes. The story and cutscenes are actually very well done. I thought they looked a bit hokey at first, but it sucked my in (maybe I'm just a sucker for hot demon chicks though...). Definitely something different and worth wasting many hours on.

I've been playing for about four hours and am only on chapter 4, so it's good lenth. Haven't even tried multiplayer yet, but can't wait to get into it.

Not sure how it plays on older machines but I've heard it scales very well at lower settings. I'm currently playing at 1900x1200, 4xAA, 8xAF, all settings at 50-60FPS (4400 X2, 2GB RAM, 2x7900GTO SLI). It's amazing.