This is why Crysis 3 is not good enough

Avatar image for Simplythebest12
#1 Posted by Simplythebest12 (28 posts) -

it's blatantly obvious what the average "gamer" look for in a game nowadays since he or she acts and thinks like a sheep.

Yes, this is the best looking game right now, but I'm sorry it is just another average FPS.

Graphics don't make the game, they just enhance it. The game is ok but the AI is incredibly stupid, you can even simply be in stealth mode almost the entire game and wreak havok on any enemy you come across which make the game very easy.

I'm sorry, but the first crysis is still the best  This one has a "better" multiplayer compared to to the other two Crysis games but compared to other multiplayer FPS's like Battlefield 3 for example cmon now it does not even touch it

It boils down to this, this is a remarkable looking game made mostly as a Benchmark and for Crytek to sell the graphic engine to other companies, but the gameplay is weak which is a shame and the short 6 to 7 hour Campaign does not justify the 60 dollars price

#2 Posted by marcheegsr (3115 posts) -

Still better than black ops 2.

#3 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
I think all this series has had for itself was the graphics.....I have never really enjoyed the SP or the MP and just got done playing the MP on this and its nothing special....Don't waste your money on it..
#4 Posted by FlankerDFMax (1777 posts) -

it's blatantly obvious what the average "gamer" look for in a game nowadays since he or she acts and thinks like a sheep.

Yes, this is the best looking game right now, but I'm sorry it is just another average FPS.

Graphics don't make the game, they just enhance it. The game is ok but the AI is incredibly stupid, you can even simply be in stealth mode almost the entire game and wreak havok on any enemy you come across which make the game very easy.

I'm sorry, but the first crysis is still the best This one has a "better" multiplayer compared to to the other two Crysis games but compared to other multiplayer FPS's like Battlefield 3 for example cmon now it does not even touch it

It boils down to this, this is a remarkable looking game made mostly as a Benchmark and for Crytek to sell the graphic engine to other companies, but the gameplay is weak which is a shame and the short 6 to 7 hour Campaign does not justify the 60 dollars price

Simplythebest12

Well said, Sir. Good comment about BO II also...........................that game looked and ran great, really good game play, and had choices that did make a difference in the story path and ending. The story itself........................just another example of stuff seemingly written by a group of people who think the storylines of the SciFi channels original movies are the benchmark to strive for.

I started gaming on a Commadore 64 in 1986, and transitioned to an IBM style "computer" in '92. That gives me a fair bit of perspective over time. I'm amazed at how stunning modern DX 11 PC games look compared to what we all thought was the bomb "back then". BO II, Crysis 2, Max Payne 3, Sky Rim, ME 2 & 3, amongst others have all run at great frame rates on my rig/s too, and featured very good to great gameplay. Really a great technical feat. On the other hand; with only a couple exceptions..............the stories are pretty much the same quality as "back in the day". Another not so great recent trend is the habit of allowing poorly implemented, omnipresent cutscenes to dominate the storyline. Or worse, cutscenes that take and give back (to the player) character control repeatedly during their course. Can we ignore the effect of multiplayer dominance on single player content? Another detriment in my book, as many recent FPS games seem to feature SP content that's almost an afterthought. Wouldn't it be great if SP and MP content be available separately, so the consumer can buy one or the other at a price point advantage, or as a package if that were preferable? In the end..............as GFX has grown by leaps and bounds and MP content has come to dominate game development...............SP campaigns have gotten shorter and shorter, and all to often the storyline is overly simplistic. :(

#5 Posted by blackjack3578 (25 posts) -

I agree with you gusy completely. Though, i did Like prophet as a character more than i liked the story. They seemed to have acctually put  some effort into im and had the advantag of having a pretty cool back story revovlign around how the suit blur's the lines between man and machines. many game shad that base idea, but this is something that we watched happen slowly through the games and is pretty interesting.

Prophet had soem good voice actign and lines as well.

Other than that, the bow, the level desigh, and the graphics(which really doesn't add  points despite beign great), the game isabit dissapointing.

#6 Posted by Fandango_Letho (5994 posts) -

I'm sorry, but the first crysis is still the best  This one has a "better" multiplayer compared to to the other two Crysis games but compared to other multiplayer FPS's like Battlefield 3 for example cmon now it does not even touch it

Simplythebest12

It's okay. I forgive you and your opinion, since you keep saying how sorry you are. That said, Crysis has never been about the gameplay. It's always been about the visual spectacle. Enemies always had a stupid AI, and to be honest, every single shooter out there except for FEAR has a brain-dead point A to point B AI. Welcome in the modern gaming world.

I have no idea whatsoever what your intentions were with this game other than be blown away by its graphics. Also, the core shooting mechanics are nothing short of excellent. Same goes with the outstanding sound design. And really, you're probably one of those guys who moans about how the AI returns to its behavior after spotting you. You'd prefer facing a pseudo-realist AI that will send reinforcement waves after waves until you're dead or couldn't be found within ten minutes of real time? I bet you do.

Finally, no one asked you to purchase this game. You prefer Crysis 1? Then play it for Pete's sake. Games are entertainment. They're meant to amuse and distract. They're not built from the ground up to entertain your own little laundry list of specifications.

#7 Posted by youssef111988 (25 posts) -

Actually, the game does very little to make you care for the characters in the story or the story as a whole. When compared to games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, where every nook and cranny makes you invested in the world, it just feels like a show of beautiful graphics. If you could mix the world of Masss Effect and the graphics of Crysis, you'd get one of the best games of all time

#8 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

It's okay. I forgive you and your opinion, since you keep saying how sorry you are. That said, Crysis has never been about the gameplay. It's always been about the visual spectacle. Enemies always had a stupid AI, and to be honest, every single shooter out there except for FEAR has a brain-dead point A to point B AI. Welcome in the modern gaming world.

I have no idea whatsoever what your intentions were with this game other than be blown away by its graphics. Also, the core shooting mechanics are nothing short of excellent. Same goes with the outstanding sound design. And really, you're probably one of those guys who moans about how the AI returns to its behavior after spotting you. You'd prefer facing a pseudo-realist AI that will send reinforcement waves after waves until you're dead or couldn't be found within ten minutes of real time? I bet you do.

Finally, no one asked you to purchase this game. You prefer Crysis 1? Then play it for Pete's sake. Games are entertainment. They're meant to amuse and distract. They're not built from the ground up to entertain your own little laundry list of specifications.

Fandango_Letho

No one asked you to read this guys post and get all pissy about it either. lol.

To say the Crysis games are not about gameplay, and that it would be stupid to buy a Crysis game for any other reason than to stare at the graphics is pathetic, and a clear sign of the problems with the industry in regards to innovating gameplay. It's like the new PS4 launch titles, all anyone talks about is the graphics, not realising that these games are the same we've been playing for the past 8 years, the new Killzone being the prime example.

Perhaps his 'laundry list' of specifications is simply for the game to live up to and perhaps surpass the original, as games are suppossed to progress over time, yet Crysis never much has beyond the graphics. Your comments on the A.I only confirm that. You also presume to know a lot about the OP considering he's posted once. I'd then presume, considering you hold FEARs A.I in such high regard, that you haven't kept up to date with shooters within the past SEVEN years, and would thus take your opinions with a pinch of salt.

To actually attempt to bash the OPs points regarding gameplay with the argument that you shouldn't buy the Crysis games for anything but the graphics is just absolutely ridiculous imo. The fact you consider the completely standard shooting mechanics to be 'excellent' is more so.

In fact it is THE best example of what is wrong with the industry today I've come across in quite some time. Congratulations, you are the lowest common denominator. Well done.

#9 Posted by 1valiantknight (973 posts) -

It's also not good enough because it's filled with bugs, and I'm playing on console! I've gotten stuck multiple times and because there is no, load last checkpoint, I have to quite and load. I've dropped weapons to have them become stuck in the ground and can no longer be picked up. And I forget where I was in the game but at one point something didn't trigger so I reloaded and it worked the second time but that's just not acceptable. Oh and after I beat the last boss rather than getting to see a cutscene I got to see a black screen, crashed my console. Graphics are of little import to me when it comes to games. I want good gameplay, good story and length in SP.

#10 Posted by airborne26 (47 posts) -

Same thing happened to me, wer you ever able to finish the alpha ceph without it crashing because mine just crashes about 2 seconds after it reloads my last save point.

#11 Posted by JDFS (664 posts) -

in case you didn't know yet even after 3 releases... we don't play Crysis for MP but for the great SP experience it gives us, wake the fu** up.

Crysis 3 will make you feel amazing after you've played a couple of hours.

No but seriously I agree it's not about graphics, but Crysis 3's graphics are so damn good that you cannot just pass it... not as a true gamer. 

#12 Posted by Gamerichard (493 posts) -

I thought the first Crysis was great, but when the series went from open world to corridor shooters it kinda messed things up. The graphics of Crysis 3 are fantastic of course, but i HATE when we are told an uninteresting story with a boring "heroic" main character" that walks through corridors way to much, and I don't know where I actually am in the world, and I use the same weapons all the way through the game, and the music is totally BORING! I want some music in the background, not some melody that's the same as in every other high-production shooter not counting Halo.

I haven't finished the game quite yet. It's not rubbish. It's okay. But I just keep asking myself WHY can't crytek just give me 100% right from the start and all the way through. It's a 7 hour long game. They need to deliver max all the way through, I don't want to be sneaking around in some dark concrete buildings shooting with this rediculous week machine gun: prrrip, prrrip... Blow me away. But they really dont.. This is a basic FPS with great graphics.

#13 Posted by ulkas (60 posts) -

It's surprising that AI is still so underwhelming in games. It should be no problem running rather complex "thinking" scripts on a modern computer.

I've thought of developing digital brains, not primarily for games, but robots, and there's certainly a need and opportunity for it.

#14 Posted by maddakker (25 posts) -
I actually dont give a shit about story as long as good graphics and good weapons im happy.I have an amazing game collection with over 70 awesome games.I love watching guys reaction to it when they see it, as they are on display and limited edition if available, they stop mid sentence and just stand there looking lol.I love fps but hate mp. I like crysis 3 as fast moving but best games have to be fear and doom.mind you fear3 was the biggest piece of crap ive bought.each to their own though I mean if we all liked same thing ay how boring would that be
#15 Posted by alphajackson (1 posts) -

Wait, so is it just me or am I the only one who plays for graphics ? although I did enjoy both crysis 2 and 3, but I never player 1 or warhead so perhaps thats why ? but in all honesty I don't see the point of comparing it to the old games. consider it a new game, no looking back, fresh mind and view it for what it is not what it was.