Do not expect to play a "Crysis game".

User Rating: 7 | Crysis 2: Maximum Edition PC

After some couple of years without writing a single review, I got a new graphic card that just suits all my needs for any existing game on PC. In this way, with so many games to chose, I finally decided to give a try with Crysis 2, since I loved both Crysis and Warhead but couldn't play this sequel. Hope you could enjoy the reading.

First of all: do not expect to play a “Crysis game”. What I mean? That almost all aspects from the original were changed to fit a new type of game that we did not had in 2007. And this fact, my friends, made me very disappointed. Many years ago, Crytek just made all other games look old and ugly with all the fancy and powerful graphics. All players were trying to make their rigs run that game in the maximum settings at maximum resolutions just to see the game staying pretty than it is - and people still do it! That is what we call a revolution: when all we do and think changes because of one release.

So I'll say that yes, I'm VERY disappointed with Crysis 2 because they couldn't even stand in the same level, when they had everything to stand side by side with its previous two games – or even better! Let me explain why a revolutionary game was transformed in a regular game.

When we finish Crysis and Warhead, the way how the plot ends leaves us desiring more, wanting to know how the nanosuit soldiers (Nomad, Prophet and Psycho) will stop the alien invasion. When we first start this sequel, we're already facing another set of characters that fail to captivate, controlling a new soldier in levels completely different from what we saw in the first game that have no voice... And while we play, is easy to notice that almost all that lovely gameplay that made Crysis so good is just gone, looking more a generic shooter than a classic.

Wearing a new nanosuit (2.0), more powerful and capable of many wonders in combat, it indeed does what promises, making things easier and with less freedom. In previous games we had four instances that we could freely combine and change to fit any gameplay we want, depending only in what kind of approach in that situation we wanted to. Now, most of the functions are melted together and will function through binds in your pad, like hold the melee button to use strength or the space to perform a longer or higher jump. Only two instances will work separately from the other two, which will be cloak and armor. Strength and speed were incorporated to be automatic in almost every situation.

Also, we cannot go prone and cannot lean in corners, but we can climb in ledges and hide behind some covers - this just doesn’t work very well. We also have a “nanovision” that would be usefull if we could more places to use, not in two or three little moments in the entire game. And remember all those beautiful physics effect, blowing things up, flying pieces of tree and construction everywhere? You'll not see that here.

What I'm trying to say is that for anyone who played Crysis, know that the stronger element in it were the freedom to take missions in the way you want. Huge stages, many ways, vehicles, lakes, rivers, forests, trees, mountains, hills, caves, all of that we loved so much before. Now we're in a city. They try to simulate the same feeling, but Crysis 2 just “crit fail” in this aspect. The game is more linear and focus so much in repetitive combat that is impossible to feel any trace of freedom.

Combat looks better, being more intense and fluid, with more realistic movements and particles, but it fails for being so repetitive. This is a long game, and even when we start to fight the Cephs, things will not change much. It also incorporates a flaw from previous games, which is the lack of more weapons that fulfill the purpose of what Crysis 2 try to give. Firepower will be more balanced, also showing a comparison between the weapon you're carrying and the one you'll deciding to pick - or not. In my experience, this change little in gameplay, being the huge difference in what kind of attachments it can hold for the desired situation.

Here is one great idea tried to be implemented but that, for my taste, just add little to the game. This could have done a HUGE difference. After Alcatraz first met the Ceph, it will make the Nanosuit start some kind of interaction with some sort of virus that are killing hundreds of humans. So, every time we take down any ceph, it will drop "nanocells" and we can collect them to unlock - nine - improvements in three groups, where we can activate only one upgrade per time in each group. It was a great idea, really. But, again, this game is a long game for one FPS, and the few options for upgrade and improvement just don't fit the need of the game. A great idea, but bad executed. So sad. Hate see good ideas being wasted like that.

Like most of times, I didn't test the multiplayer. I'm an old school player and don't have the need to play games online. But, probably, the disappointment with the single player would be extended to the online mode. If I would play it online, I would play the first Crysis, not the sequel.

I think I covered most of it, being the others elements just irrelevant to comment or to notice. It successfully keeps the movie like sensation, but fall all the way to be a generic FPS game. If you like the genre, just go for it, maybe you find it worth it - or not! Even I'm giving a not very well deserved "7", I could easily give it a "6". But since the junction of all can give a descent level of fun to any FPS player, it will stay like this.