Hated It's Faults More Than I Loved It's Positives

User Rating: 5 | Crossing Souls LNX

There’s some good bits to Crossing Souls but it spent too much time finding ways to annoy me for me to enjoy them. I’ll start with the good. The soundtrack is fantastic. That and the whole 80’s style to it brings back nostalgia and makes for a great experience. The characters and story were fairly well done. I enjoyed the humour and the dialogue as well as much of the story although it could have used some more back story at points. I was also pleasantly surprised that the story could go a bit darker at times which many games would have avoided. The combat itself was fairly well done in that I liked how varied the friends were. Each brought their own set of strengths and skills making finding which ones to use in certain situations fun. The combat wasn’t so fun when it got into some of the boss fights. For instance I found the fight with Major Oh Russ with you on the back of a hover bike to be very annoying and was the point in which I quit the game. It isn’t just the combat itself that was annoying but the terrible save system that the game used. When I died in that battle if I quit the game to cool off I had to go back to before it starts and review the cut scene and dialogue every...single...time. This was the same for an earlier fight where the fight itself was very easy but there is a scene after it with you on a bike escaping pursuers using quick time events. My issue with it was that if I died during the bike chase and quit the game I had to go back to before the bike chase and redo the whole initial fight and then redo the bike chase. The game could of structured it’s auto save system far better or just given me the option to manual save. The puzzles were decent overall although some of those could range from easy to annoying. On time for instance you had to properly arrange a set of stones to open a door. There is a cheat cheat saying how to do so if you take charge of a ghost friend and set them up where the cheat cheat is. This was all set up nicely in that it was intuitive what the game wanted you to do. The issue was that you had to guess which area the cheat cheat was in and that meant a lot of backtracking if you got it wrong and this was compounded by the fact I felt the jumping mechanics were a bit off at times.

I played Crossing Souls on Linux. It never crashed on me and I didn’t notice any spelling errors. There was one small glitch where on the opening splash screens where it recommends a controller a bunch of the text was cut off. Other than that I noticed no other bugs. You couldn’t remap your keys which was annoying and felt lazy. There was a 60 FPS lock and no graphics options to adjust. Alt-Tab didn’t work. You could save at predetermined save points as well as the game had auto save points although as mentioned some were terribly spaced out. There were three save slots to sue but it gave you no indication when saving of which was last used. I used the Logitech F310 game pad and it worked without any issues. Performance was overall great although certain cut scenes felt a bit laggy even though the frame rate was near 60.

Game Engine: Unity

VRAM Usage: 522-1668 MB

CPU Usage: 1-7 %

RAM Usage: 1.9-2.6 GB

Frame Rate: 52-60 FPS

Overall Crossing Souls annoyed me more than it entertained me. I hated it’s faults more than I liked it’s positives and ended up quitting in chapter 7 after 6 hours and 9 minutes. I paid $3.39 CAD for it and still can’t recommend it.

My System:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 21.2.5 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB | Manjaro 21.2 | Mate 1.26.0 | Kernel 5.15.7-1-MANJARO