City of Heroes is very creative, original, and relies heavily on teamwork, but is just barely satisfactory.

User Rating: 6.5 | City of Heroes PC
City of Heroes starts you off in a small city overridden with gang members and law breakers and you are told to kill a few baddies here and there using the special abilities that you chose when you created your character. It teaches you everything you need to know and it's pretty easy to grasp onto. Once you finish this tutorial, you are sent out to Atlas Park. For me, it got a little boring because the city was just too basic and boring or run of the mill. The missions you get are pretty simple; go to this location and kill everything, then come back and get your next mission. While these are still starter missions and all that, it can cause players to lose interest since most of these missions are basically the same layouts, surroundings and bad guys.

The graphics in City of Heroes are barely satisfactory and yet still a little demanding of your RAM. I never could quite figure out why this didn't run very well on my PC on the recommended settings at 1024 x 768 while when I used to play World of Warcraft on top settings at 1280 x 1024, it ran perfectly fine on my older video card. Everything with the exception of you and the other people playing is very low poly. I can kind of see what they were going for, but in trying to get a comic book look to it, they ended up using very few polygons in the models. The lighting on your characters, however, is pretty cool.

The gameplay is satisfactory at the very most; it's clear that the creators wanted players to play with friends. If you try to play this by yourself then you will be bored and the missions become much harder to complete if you are making a melee character who doesn't have any bodyguards or any healing spells.

The game's creativity mostly comes out of the character creation, which was the best out of all of the MMORPG games that I have played. You can be anywhere from four feet tall to eight feet tall or muscular and huge to thin and skinny. You can change the shape of everything on your character. There is a huge selection of costumes and faces for you to choose from and they can be any two colors that you want them to be. When you're done customizing the way your hero looks, you can write a bio about your character; where they came from, how they got their super powers, anything. If that isn't enough for you, you can also set up a custom battle cry as well. Choosing a name for your character is also pretty cool because if you want to name it something like "The Super Ultra Dude" then you don't have to actually write "the" in the name, there is a drop down box with what I suppose was going to be a list of titles for your character, but it has a choice of nothing or having "The" put above your name in game so that it doesn't interfere with the rest of your awesome name! No, the name thing is not that much of a big deal but the fact that they did it is worth mentioning.

City of Heroes is a great attempt at making an original game and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys team play. For those of you lone wolves out there who like to do everything by yourself, however, I'd have to recommend that you try something else. I would also have to say that if you are an avid World of Warcraft player, you probably will not like this either, it's very different from World of Warcraft and I've found that most people who try City of Heroes end up getting disappointed.