This is the lowest of the low...

User Rating: 5.5 | Classic NES Series: Castlevania GBA
I went out of my way to track down this "gem" for the sole pleasure of re-experience the original NES "classic" with a the new "save" option. Well, it had a "save" option, but sadly the game should have just been left where it was... in the past...

GAMEPLAY ~
Lets start by saying that in the 20 years since this titles release NOTHING has really changed! It's still one of the worst controlled games ever made! From the half-assed jumping (if you stand directly in front of a jumpable ledge you can't just jump straight up, you need a running start to do it...) to the extreme difficulty of the final 3 stages and the last 3 bosses (Igor and Franken can we say?) you will most likely end up throwing your GBA at the closest wall and wonder why this game was re-released and not a good game, like Castlevania II: Simon's Quest?!?!
The only redeeming quality of this game was the faulted "save" option. Yeah, in the past there wasn't any saving, so you had to run through this game on your first try, now you can get frustrated over an over again! An when it saves your position, it doesn’t save the floor your on.. no, you have to start back at the beginning of the level, regardless of how frustratingly hard that boss might be in the level. I never understood the point of "time"... points acquired mean nothing if you are gonna die a million times whist you play!
It should have just been revamped from top to bottom an than released for the GBA. They did it for Metroid and Kirby! Why not the classic Vania titles? Sad really.

STORY ~
Yeah, your a Belmont, go kill Count Dracula an his horde of classic film monsters along the way... I guess this was cool for the late 80's... but nowadays... this is terrible.

GRAPHICS ~
I can say for it's time the backgrounds of The Counts castle were nicely detailed an gave you a sense of dark 8-bitness! The monsters weren’t too bad with goofy skeletons and bat-blobs floating non-stop, it kept it's NES charm... but put against the other Vania titles of today, this game does not stand the test of time. Yeah almost every enemy in this game are re-used through Vania history an every game has gotta start somewhere. Whatever Belmont it is that appears in this game has a healthy orange glow to him, but he really need to see a chiropractor about that posture! besides all that, graphics were a top for it's time.

SOUND ~
The music wasn't too bad an introduced the "Vampire Killer" track used in so many of it's future brethren, but nothing else really stands out. The music of the cave sounds strangely familiar... like it was torn right from the pages of Wizards an Warriors! The SFX are kinda non-existent an the "you're death" song gets real old, real fast.

REPLAYABILITY ~
Thanks to the faulty save options it's given me the chance to go back an repeatedly challenge the same damn stage over and over again! So much in fact that I stop playing because I threw my GameCube controller at a local wall (I play most of the Vania titles on my GameBoyPlayer) this game isn't easy, and your reward for being the game... "HARD MODE"!
Oh yeah... wait... what I was playing the whole damn time wasn't hard mode? Than why not name the mode "impossible"?! I wanna curl up an cry in a corner... why Konami... why?!?!

OVERALL ~
If you own a GBA, and what to experience all of the Dracula beating, monster killing, whip toting goodness that only a Castlevania title could supply you with, don't, and I repeat, don't get this game! Not even worth the 10 dollars I shelled out to own this title new. If you need a Vania fix, go get the Castlevania Double-Pack, or even Circle of the Moon!

REWORK THIS TITLE KONAMI THAN RE-RELEASE IT!!!
DON'T RELEASE A GAME-BOY COLOR TITLE ON THE GBA AN EXPECT It TO LORE IN FANS OF CLASSIC GAMING! BECAUSE YOU'RE RIPPING US OFF!!!

DON'T BUY IT!