I've owned this game since the 1990s.

User Rating: 8 | Breath of Fire SNES

Breath of Fire is a game that has nice graphics, a well designed battle system, and a well endowed array of characters to play as. It does also have its shortfalls however.

• The soundtrack is great except some themes are reused too often. The composers made some memorable themes. Some music though is reused during certain fights or areas where I feel those areas and battles would have been much more powerful had they had their own unique themes. This isn't the composer's fault but the fault of the game designer that decided to reuse themes that I feel didn't need to be reused for battles that are meant to be much more unique and intense.
  • The enemies are great for the most part. I do feel however that reusing the same models for some of the bosses but in different color schemes was slightly lazy. I feel it's more suitable to give different palettes to normal enemies rather than bosses. For example, let's say a slime is a normal enemy. You can decide to make red, blue, yellow, green, white, and black slime monsters for different areas of the game. This way, there would be enough data remaining to make each main boss unique and not a clone of a previous boss. Normal enemies however I am fine with being clones with different colors.
  • It's easy to get lost in this game. Sometimes it's very hard to know where you are supposed to go. You even will end up getting the bad ending most likely if you're not sure what you're supposed to do in the game to get the good ending. A lot of things are more cryptic than they really should be. At some point during the game you will be in an underwater area. When I was younger, I got completely lost in this area and quit the game for a few years because of this.

Situations such as these mentioned above are why I feel this game didn't achieve the rating it could have had. The game is enjoyable however. It just most likely won't end up being your favorite role playing game of all time.

So yeah, I give it an 8 out of 10.