A faithful conversion and a damn good game.

User Rating: 8 | Blood Bowl PC
Well I was only ever mildly interested in the table top version, so I did approach this title with some trepidation it has to be said. Little did i realise what a pleasant surprise I was in for. As table top conversions go I have to say I haven't yet experienced such an accurate and compelling translation.

It can be quite daunting in the beginning as the game even in turn based mode can move along at a fair old pace, couple that with not really having much of an idea about anything that is happening and you can be in for a very rough ride. However if you weather the storm and conquer the learning curve you will find this to be a very rewarding experience.

One thing that really appealed to me was that all the teams (races) aren't the same in regards to balance, by this I mean some races are hard as nails but couldn't catch a cold in a thunder storm, while others are squishy and bruise easily but get by using agility and guile. This makes for a more tactical experience, you must be aware of your teams strengths and weaknesses as well as your opponents even against the A.I. I see a few comments critical of the A.I and while I feel it isn't the brightest bulb in the box it is more than enough to make a decent game of it.

I think more than a few will find the learning curve quite tough, until you learn more about what is happening in the game it can be very frustrating and you will find yourself or the wrong end of a hiding on more than a few occasions. But once you start to get an inkling you will find yourself better equipped to make the necessary decisions and will become more proficient at maximising your potential out come (such as dice rolling etc).

The tactical element of the game for me is outstanding and worthy of noted praise, I wont go much into that as it is more fun to discover it on your own.

The graphics are superb and really bring the whole experience to life in a sublime array of colours, fantastic models and amusing animations. The screen shots speak for themselves to be honest and I can promise, you wont be in for disappointment in the visual stakes.

A major plus this title has going for it is the replay value, once you get into it you can lose many hours before you find yourself back in reality, and the multi player side of things will keep the game and the challenge fresh for some time to come.

All in all a good buy this one, fans of blood bowl or American football in general will get the most out of this one, but there is something there for everyone I feel, but it is one of those games that you get out what you put in, if you pick it up and expect to be ahem "pwning" everything in sight within ten minutes of starting then it probably isn't for you.