Infinite is an amazing game BUT i feel it could have been even better

#1 Posted by Jesperthorell (25 posts) -
*Possible spolers* Has played through the game 2 times and gotten every achivment - i love it. Not often do i replay a linear FPS with bigger joy the second time around. I think Bioshock infinite is overall on par or slightly better then Bioshock 1 and will probobly go down as my GOTY. But it could have been an overall better game: *Some puzzels to give some variety and make it a little more then just a shooter *Some more encounters where you could use stelth as an option as you could with the boys of silence *More info on Comstock to build up the hate for him, it would have made the whole story stronger since you really hated yourself. I feel like Comstock was less interesting then Andrew Ryan for exampel. *Made the whole Fitzroy theme much more distinct and that you could tell there was a revolution going on. In the early gameplay footage they(the rebells) really had control over atleast some parts of the city. *Use the skyline to the max and make a more vertical playfied like in dishonored. This was also in the earlier trailer *Make some areas larger liked they seemed in the early trailers. This would have been great and the meassage with the poor in shantytown could have been made even stronger. The city could have been even more breathtaking if everything was a bit bigger and a bit more, maybe alleys and thing like that to flesh it out *Show of more of the city in te later part of the game because the first hour without combat is amazing when you can just walk around and look at colombia. They could have let Columbia been bright the whole time. it got darker and darker, instead they just could have made the city go more mad step by step. *More info on the songbird and more "close encounters" with him *Make more of Elizabeths powers than just hook, cover and turret(patriot in 2 cases or something) I for one think that the story we got combined with the gameplay and spaces we saw in the early trailers would have made Infinite the very best game of this generation. It seemes like they took the concept from the early gameplays and trailers and made them all lesser or in smaller propotion. Here is an early trailer that has some of the things i try to describe. Here everything realy feeles maxed out with both gameplay and atmosphere, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEBwKO4RFOU (please embadd if you can) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HGSvIA-BHU It,s great they have so many small things left in the end product, like the lady who clean the house on fire, saltonstalls top of the head,the star wars reference and more. P.s. They also did a great job of making an hint that Booker is Andrew Ryan! one of the best things in the game.
#2 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2074 posts) -
The puzzles are the locked trunks you find keys for (or vise versa) and ciphers that can be decoded. Having too many puzzles might make it feel more like an adventure game than what it is, an FPS. There's places you can use stealth other than what you mentioned. Sneaking back to the first trunk after finding the key at the BoS alter. Also in Finkton where you go to the Good Time Club, and again heading to Shantytown. You can also skip the huge battle on the deck below engineering on the zeppelin just by hiding and waiting for the skyline to clear, then running and jumping on it. It's advisable that you do your last vigor upgrades before hitting that skyline switch though, because that's the last available vigor machine. Too much info on Comstock might limit what they can offer in the upcoming DLC mentioned. I felt the rebellion was adequately portrayed. Remember Booker is not there to be part of it, just supply them guns so he can be on his way. The only gripe I have about Skylines is they are inconsistent at highlighting and allowing jumps sometimes. Having too many tiered tracks you can jump between would just make the combat too easy. Columbia is already massive compared to old Bioshocks, even a lot of indoor areas. Keep in mind too that there's already severe frame rate dips in places. The UE3 engine can only do so much with maps that are that detailed. It's why Batman: Arkham City (another UE3 game) stutters when you fly around the city. There's not much story that can be told about a mech bird that was built to imprison/protect Liz, and given how he's used in the end, the encounters are sufficient. The original trailers had Liz too powerful IMO. She was able to summons violent electrical storms and devouring crows, and amass molten metal for you to hurl. She's better off as an innocent assistant than militant, and it would again, make the combat too easy. There's some things I liked in the trailers. It was a mixed bag for me. I liked being able to trap a Handyman in an enviro hazard like the bridge trusses, being able to pull weapons out of enemies hands, the church bell falling, and the mech horses pulling carriages instead of just standing in one spot. Her over the top powers I mentioned and even the horse healing didn't seem to fit though.
#3 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2074 posts) -

...you want Elizabeth to summon rainclouds on a group of hell-raising drunkards, in that spot, every time? You want the Handyman to mindlessly stand on the bridge, waiting for you to destroy it? No, just... no.yearssomuch

We don't know for sure it would have been THAT scripted. I doubt IG as creative as they are would have settled for making it that way. They may have been thinking of having optional interactive spots here and there you could choose from to give Liz commands with, vs reacting to her actions, much like tears.

My argument is just that it would have made Liz too combative and less innocent, and the gameplay too easy as well. In some respects it certainly would have bneen more scripted though, vs being completely free to dictate how a battle with a Handyman plays out.

#4 Posted by yearssomuch (124 posts) -
[QUOTE="Frag_Maniac"]The original trailers had Liz too powerful IMO. She was able to summons violent electrical storms and devouring crows, and amass molten metal for you to hurl. She's better off as an innocent assistant than militant, and it would again, make the combat too easy. There's some things I liked in the trailers. It was a mixed bag for me. I liked being able to trap a Handyman in an enviro hazard like the bridge trusses, being able to pull weapons out of enemies hands, the church bell falling, and the mech horses pulling carriages instead of just standing in one spot. Her over the top powers I mentioned and even the horse healing didn't seem to fit though.

This. I'm sick of hearing people complain about Elizabeth not doing 'enough', when she supplies you with ammo, health, Salts, and money, and can't be shot to death, forcing previous checkpoints. I watched the trailers, and while the idea of combining Vigors IS really cool, it would've sucked from an actual gameplay perspective. You would've been forced to react to Elizabeth's spells, thus taking away any sense of freedom that the player has in how he approaches the situation. Not to mention, it's obvious that in the gameplay reveals that those were staged set-pieces, through and through.. people are complaining about that enough, and you want Elizabeth to summon rainclouds on a group of hell-raising drunkards, in that spot, every time? You want the Handyman to mindlessly stand on the bridge, waiting for you to destroy it? No, just... no.
Avatar image for refusedairwaves
#5 Posted by refusedairwaves (289 posts) -

I don't think this was better than Bioshock 1. Those of us who got Bioshock 1 on release day back in 2007 understand why that was the better game, It's the same reason why COD 4 (loose analogy, bear w/ me) is still the best COD. That game was ahead of its time and no other FPS could even compare. Both games have great stories, but Infinite's gunplay is not the quantum leap that Bioshock 1 delivered for its day.

#6 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2074 posts) -

Well I agree with you that CoD 4 was cutting edge for it's time and still one of the best optimized games for how good it's graphics are, but Infinite also brings some cutting edge tech to the table.

The type of combat preferred is very personal preference, but I don't think anyone that knows anything about working with UE3 can argue that what they've accomplished with this game is no small feat.

Just making objects as large as buildings dynamic vs static was a huge hurdle, as was scripting AI to follow complex AI paths on skylines and jumping to floating barges and such.

The old Bio fans got two installments in Rapture that were more to their liking, it was time for a drastic change.