Assassin's Creed hits another home run in a fascinating setting

User Rating: 8 | Assassin's Creed Odyssey PS4

Ancient Greece was one of my most desired settings for Assassin’s Creed and seeing it come to life was truly amazing. The Greek world fascinated me and with incorporating things like lore from the Greek Gods and stories from the era such as the Odyssey made me enjoy it even more. However, upon seeing the first gameplay of this new installment, I noticed it looked almost like a ‘re-skin’ of the previous title, Assassin’s Creed Origins. Since I loved that game so much this wasn’t an issue for me but there were times when I felt like I was playing the exact same game.

Story: 9/10

This Assassin’s Creed has one of the best paced stories in the entire franchise. It does an amazing job of building up side characters and taking a proper amount of time to get to know them, all without leaving anything feeling like it’s taking too long to get going. However, I felt as though the ending to the game felt very bland and unsatisfying. I actually didn’t even know it was the end of the game until I received the trophy for beating the game and seeing there were no more main story missions.

Score: 9/10

The music takes a new, cool Greek twist on some of the classic songs from the franchise, giving it a ‘Witcher’ feel.

Characters/Character Development: 8/10

As with most Assassin’s Creed games, the characters you meet along your journey provide a wonderful addition to the game and the world around it. Odyssey is no different. Characters are present enough to feel a good bond with them and care about the decisions they make and the paths they choose. One of my complaints is how you have to CHOOSE a protagonist. While it works and makes for the story, I really liked the way both Alexios and Kassandra looked and having to choose only one of them left me disappointed. I enjoyed the way Syndicate allowed you to switch between protagonists, and would have liked to have seen something like that again.

Graphics: 9.5/10

The Ancient Greek world looks truly stunning. Sailing the seas and seeing the islands off in the distance is a sight to behold as is climbing a tall mountain and seeing a torch-lit city down below.

Gameplay: 9/10

Exploration in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is truly a thing of wonder. Reaching a new island has plenty of content to keep you interested and wanting to look around, wither through side quests or just seeing what lies around. Combat is very similar to the previous Assassin’s Creed Origins, only this time around there is no shield to defend yourself and you must rely on dodging to avoid attacks. At first, not having a shield annoyed me as I felt it would put me out of range to attack again, but I quickly got used to it and after a few hours didn’t mind the change at all.

Difficulty: 5/10 (0 being the easiest, 10 being the hardest)

The game consistently provides you with a good sense of difficulty. Getting surrounded by 4 or 5 enemies actually feels difficult to overcome, which forces you to come up with a good strategy to take down a fort or other area of enemies, rather than just charging through it with ease, but if you’re feeling bold, it is possible to rush through and take down every enemy.

Fun: 7/10

While I enjoyed this game and everything it had to provide, I couldn’t help but the shake the feeling that it was too similar to the previous year’s Assassin’s Creed Origins. Due to the fact that I loved that game, I knew I would enjoy this one as well and I did very much. The world is so nice to explore and getting to every Greek island was very satisfying.

Recommended for-