Differences between Naval-Gameplay in ACIII and IV?

#1 Posted by AcGamer1994 (25 posts) -
What I didn't like in AC III We've seen quite a bit of Naval-Gameplay in Assassins Creed III. I personally felt that some things weren't as much fun as you'd expect. For ecxample, it was way too easy to just shoot the little boats till they sunk(even a single shot with your Swivel Gun was enough). You didn't need a lot of strategy to do so - just pull the trigger a few times - and your ship The Aquila was able to take about a hundred shots before you would notice that you'r health was decreasing. I also thought that your ship was a bit uncouth(can't really find the right word for it). In my opinion it was just a bit too large and the steering, even after you had purchased the 'Steering Wheel' upgrade, wasn't as smooth and agile as you'd like. Even bigger ships like Men'O'War were rather easy to bring down. Just a few shots and the Vessel would sink. Taking shots from these big ships was something that you'd avoid because of its ability to do some major damage. What would I like to see in AC IV? Well first of all, it should be way harder to win a naval battle. Just shooting at some ships is quite boring after all. What I've heard from Ubisoft, is that there will be about 5 different archetypes of ships sailing the Caribbean. For example: the 'Chaser': this is ship with a weak broadside but it has a ram and a large cannon up front; it is actually faster than your ship. Second, I'd like to see a lot more different upgrades for your ship than we've seen in ACIII, because customizing your ship (and Crew!) is really cool. I've seen a picture of the Jackdaw, your ship, with a blueprint: you will be able to upgrade to at least 56 cannons(!), 4 Swivel guns and you will be able to buy new Sails. So far so good, but obviously we want more. Please give me your opinions of what you want to see in terms of Naval-Gameplay in AC IV
#2 Posted by alsatian86 (33 posts) -

I found the naval ascpect of AC3 to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the game... Unfortunatey it wasn't fully fleshed out and had its hitches. I actually found some of the missions to be quite difficult, especially to get full marks on. I feel that the addition of this in AC3 was also very innovative, when else has there ever been a naval warfare game of this caliber (and time setting)? This is one of the primary reasons I preordered AC4, as I was somewhat disappointed with the rest of AC3 (especially because it was supposed to be the finale of the series). All in all looking forward to AC4, and a refined experience of life on the open seas! Yar!

#3 Posted by jovanroland (32 posts) -

I'm glad they decided to steer the series this way... I mean, naval combat in AC III was the most enjoyable part of it. Ubisoft realised fans liked the naval combat, so they are making a game set in the Carribean, in the era of pirates, so they can flesh out the naval combat to the fullest... I'm guessing they will introduce boarding in the new game as well, as it played a huge role in combat of the Buccaneer Era... I mean, what's a pirate game without boarding? :D I'm guessing they'll let players upgrade their ship, maybe even buy new, stronger and bigger ones.

I've got my hopes up for this next part of the series, and I really hope it comes out well.

#4 Posted by murph85 (256 posts) -

I found the naval ascpect of AC3 to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the game... Unfortunatey it wasn't fully fleshed out and had its hitches. I actually found some of the missions to be quite difficult, especially to get full marks on. I feel that the addition of this in AC3 was also very innovative, when else has there ever been a naval warfare game of this caliber (and time setting)? This is one of the primary reasons I preordered AC4, as I was somewhat disappointed with the rest of AC3 (especially because it was supposed to be the finale of the series). All in all looking forward to AC4, and a refined experience of life on the open seas! Yar!

alsatian86

Considering the popularity of the Assassin's Creed franchise it would have been stupid to kill it off after AC III. You don't need Desmond to continue the franchise.

Avatar image for LastJediKnight7
#5 Posted by LastJediKnight7 (25 posts) -
The naval missions were actually my least favorite part of the entire game in ACIII so I was fairly disappointed when they announced that the next setting was with pirates. I just couldn't enjoy it. I want to run around and assassinate people not sail.