Too repetitive

User Rating: 5 | Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China XONE

It was certainly interesting to see Assassin's Creed turned into this 2D side-scroller and honestly, I liked that aspect of it but I am a bit disappointed with the execution of it all.

The story, if you can call it that, is pretty lacking and that is a disappointing aspect of the game right off the bat. Assassin's Creed is known for its deep storytelling and to see it treated so poorly is just sad. And a big reason that I mention the story is because it affects the game as a whole. There's no emotion behind it, No journey what so ever. It just comes off as repetitive and easy puzzle-solving gameplay and that is why it comes off as so mediocre.

The gameplay just isn't enough to carry the game. It is too basic, Too repetitive and unoriginal. Either stealth your way through a level or kill everyone and slowly advance. It's not too hard and the puzzle solving is just too simple. There's no real reward at the end of it all, No satisfaction by beating it. While it's not terrible gameplay, It's boring and that is enough to kill it.

Overall: 5/10
The first in the series of a 2D side-scroller, China does nothing to set up future games. It honestly doesn't. The first couple levels were fine but after that, It becomes repetitive and boring, as mentioned before. There's no real depth here, No story or sense of adventure. It's a simple game that isn't bad but it's not good either.