Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Nets Nintendo Second Game Of The Year Award At TGS
All your favorites, awarded.
Tokyo Game Show is finally coming to a close and the 2017 Japan Game Awards are finally in. Unsurprisingly, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild dominated this year's Game of the Year Division to take Nintendo's second grand award win in a row after Splatoon in 2016, but Pokemon Go, Inside, and City Shrouded in Shadow also got some time in the limelight.
The Japan Game Awards are organized by the organized by the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association (CESA) and hosted annually at Tokyo Game Show. This year's awards featured three different categories and two awards: Game of the Year Division, Amateur Division, Future Division, the 2017 Game Designers Award, and the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Award.
Each award was selected by the CESA except the Future Division. This category was voted on by Tokyo Game Show attendees from September 21 through 23 after a screening by the committee; the titles are ranked based on which title was thought to preform the best when it launches.
Game of the Year Division
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Grand Award, Award for Excellence
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Award for Excellence
- Final Fantasy XV - Award for Excellence
- Horizon Zero Dawn - Award for Excellence
- Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross - Award for Excellence
- NieR: Automata - Award for Excellence
- Nioh - Award for Excellence
- Overwatch - Award for Excellence
- Persona 5 - Award for Excellence
- Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon - Award for Excellence, Best Sales Award, Global Award Japanese Product
- The Last Guardian - Award for Excellence
- PlayStation VR - Special Award
- FIFA 17 - Global Award Foreign Product
- Trace Paper, ECC College of Computer and Multimedia - Grand Award, Award for Excellence
- Ultimate Selfy, ECC College of Computer and Multimedia - Award for Excellence, Individual Award
- DOOR, Vantan Game Academy - Award for Excellence
- Paku Roll, International Information Engineer Automobile College - Award for Excellence
- Pixmash, Hal Nagoya - Award for Excellence
- Scarp Factory, ECC College of Computer and Multimedia - Honorable Mention
- Twin Candles, Nihon Kogakuin College - Honorable Mention
- Hesame Pivochan, ECC College of Computer and Multimedia - Honorable Mention
- Pechantet, Hal Osaka - Honorable Mention
- City Shrouded in Shadow
- Detroit: Become Human
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Dynasty Warriors 9
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Loveplus Every
- Monster Hunter: World
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- The Legend of Heroes: Sen No Kiseki III
The 2017 Game Designers award went to the team behind Inside. This bleak and almost monochromatic title was beloved for its obscure take on storytelling, and awarded for just the same. From its unorthodox controls to the deeply unsettling message it tells, Inside was lauded for its creativity and originality.
Pokemon Go may have already hit several bumps along its road to international sensationalism, but it was awarded the 2017 The Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Award for the way it became an international phenomenon almost overnight. The judges deemed its use of AR and contribution to different parts of the world affected by disaster as key contributors to its win as it showed potential for a new level of excellence in gaming.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com