Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Easter Egg May Pay Tribute To Late Nintendo President Saturo Iwata
Zelda: Breath of the Wild character might be a nod to the late Nintendo legend.
Close to the game's opening area, a Watchman named Botrick can be found. As you can see below, Botrick bears a striking resemblance to Iwata, which Seaniccus suggests is a deliberate move by Nintendo to pay tribute to its leader, who passed away in 2015.
Iwata passed away partway through Breath of the Wild's development, and during his 13 years in charge of Nintendo, he oversaw multiple Zelda titles, including The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and A Link Between Worlds. It's clear the Zelda team was close to Iwata: In an interview with The New Yorker, Breath of the Wild's director, Hidemaro Fujibayashi, said, "When he passed away, there were moments we'd come up with an idea which we'd be excited to talk to Iwata about. Then we'd remember he was no longer here." It would make sense, therefore, for the group to want to pay tribute.
The potential Iwata homage isn't the only secret in Breath of the Wild. There's a hidden survival island for one--check out our Let's Play of that here. For more on the open world game, check out some of our other coverage below.
- Zelda Creator Miyamoto Couldn't Stop Climbing Trees In Breath Of The Wild
- Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - Epona Gameplay
- Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - Cooking Tips And Tricks
- Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Amiibo Unlock Guide
- 9 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- 9 More Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org