XP Service Pack 2 to conflict with games
New built-in firewall software to automatically block access of some popular games to the Internet.
The impending release of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP has prompted Microsoft to reveal a list of programs that may experience problems with the massive update. Included on the rather extensive list are quite a few games, such as Warcraft III and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
Microsoft stated that most of the problems are associated with the new built-in Windows firewall, where users must approve programs that attempt to make Internet connections. However, some programs use data pages that the firewall automatically blocks, as they are common attack routes for hackers. A work-around is built into the firewall software, as well as the ability for advanced users to simply turn it off.
The games affected by Service Pack 2 are as follows:
- Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
- Chess Advantage III: Lego Chess
- Combat Flight Simulator 3
- Command & Conquer: Generals
- Command & Conquer: Generals Zero Hour
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
- Conflict: Desert Storm
- Dead Man's Hand
- Earth & Beyond
- Elite Forces Vietnam: Special Assignment 2
- Freedom Force
- Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
- Medieval Total War
- Midnight Outlaw: Illegal Street Drag
- Moto Racer
- NASCAR Racing 2003
- NBA Live 2000
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
- Roller Coaster Factory
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
- SimCity 4
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command III
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
- Tribes 2
- Unreal II
- Unreal Tournament 2003
- Unreal Tournament Game of the Year Edition
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Collector's Edition
A full list of programs, and the versions affected, is available at Microsoft's Web site. Service Pack 2 will be officially released to XP users via automatic update later this month.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.