The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Xbox Series X Restocks: Check Stock At GameStop, Walmart, Best Buy And More
The Xbox Series X|S continues to be extremely hard to find in 2021, but we're tracking restocks in real-time here.
With March now here, the Xbox Series X is nearing five months on the market, and we're continuing to track availability across all major retailers. Xbox restocks continue to happen sporadically, often without notice. Both the Series X and Series S are seeing shortages, though if you're hoping to pick up the Series S, you'll have a much easier time as it tends to stay in stock for longer. Last week, GameStop had the Xbox Series S available for hours, and both Walmart and Target restocked the consoles last week, too. Earlier today, the Microsoft Store had the Series X in stock, but it sold out in minutes.
We likely won't see a widespread Xbox restock until this summer, and you probably won't spot one on the shelf at your local Walmart or Best Buy. That doesn't mean buying one of the new Xbox consoles is impossible, however. The Xbox Series X and Series S continue to sell out within minutes every time they come into stock, so buying one is a matter of luck and being ready at the right time. Here are some things to keep in mind if you're looking to buy a new Xbox:
How to buy an Xbox Series X: Our best tips
- Follow restock accounts on Twitter and turn on notifications: When it comes to buying an Xbox Series X, it's helpful to follow Twitter accounts that tweet about restocks. You may want to turn on notifications for those accounts as well, though keep in mind some of them tweet about deals and other news as well. Wario64 is a great account to follow, as is Xbox Stock Alerts. Of course, we tweet about Xbox restocks on our GameSpot Deals account as well.
- Stay logged in at major retailers and ensure info is up to date: To help checkout go as smoothly as possible, it's best to have up-to-date accounts at all major retailers, such as GameStop and Walmart. Double-check that your shipping and billing information is accurate as well--you don't want to be updating these sections during a restock when the Series X could sell out any second.
- Be ready at exact restock times when announced beforehand: Generally, Xbox Series X restocks happen without much warning, but Walmart and GameStop in particular are known to announce restocks beforehand, though this could range from days prior to an hour before the restock. These pre-announced restocks can sell out particularly fast, but being ready at your computer with payment information on hand will give you the best chance at snagging an Xbox Series X.
- Keep an eye on smaller retailers: Stores like Amazon and Best Buy aren't the only places to buy an Xbox Series X. You can also find next-gen consoles at stores like Newegg and Antonline. Stores that require certain membership can also be a good option, like the Exchange (military only) and Costco.
- Know whether you're willing to buy a bundle: Some retailers only sell the Xbox Series X in expensive bundles--these include the console along with other items like a bonus controller, a Game Pass subscription, and games. You're paying a premium here to get products you may or may not want, so you should consider if you're willing to pay above MSRP just to own the Xbox Series X.
- Bookmark the product pages: It's a good idea to know exactly where to buy the Xbox Series X at Amazon, Walmart, and other major retailers. Save the direct listings for these stores so you know exactly what page to refresh. We've rounded up those links further down in this article.
When will Xbox Series X|S stock stabilize?
Don't expect the Series X situation to improve much in the next few months, as Microsoft recently admitted Xbox Series X|S stock will be "constrained at least through June," according to The New York Times. The company apparently sold every Xbox Series X|S unit it had last quarter, and it hasn't shared any specific restock news for 2021.
Where to buy the Xbox Series X|S
In the meantime, you can check the Xbox Series X listings at major retailers as well as the latest restock news below. It could be a few weeks before you actually get the system once you order it, so keep that in mind when planning your downtime. As of now, you still can't really find the console in retail stores without a pickup order. While you can more easily buy the Xbox Series X above MSRP in bundles or on reseller sites like StockX, we do recommend waiting to buy the new Xbox for its list price of $500.
Xbox Series X availability at GameStop
GameStop restocked the Xbox Series X and Series S on February 24, but they were only available in bundles. The retailer also had standalone Xbox Series S consoles available on February 25.
Xbox Series X availability at Best Buy
We don't know when you'll be able to buy an Xbox Series X from Best Buy again. Best Buy didn't have any Xbox Series X or Series S units in stores in 2020, but the retailer has stated that stock will be on store shelves this year. We don't know an exact date for when in-store stock will be available, though. We've seen next-gen consoles pop up on Best Buy's website without much warning. The Xbox Series S was available last on December 28. It tends to last longer than the Series X whenever it's restocked.
Xbox Series X availability at Walmart
Walmart's last restock happened on February 25. Although it was reported beforehand that the Series X would be available to purchase for $500, it wound up only being available as part of Xbox All Access, a 24-month payment plan that includes a Game Pass Ultimate subscription.
Xbox Series X availability at Amazon
We don't know when you'll be able to buy an Xbox Series X from Amazon again. Amazon has had very little Xbox Series X|S inventory since the consoles first launched on November 10, and there's no word on a restock in the near future. Amazon's listings even say, "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Xbox Series X availability at Target
Target last had the Xbox Series X available for purchase on February 25. This time, it was available for shipping rather than only in-store pickup, and the system didn't appear to be immediately snagged by bots.
Xbox Series X availability at other retailers
Online store Antonline tends to have Xbox bundles in stock fairly regularly, particularly the Xbox Series S.
We've seen sporadic restocks on the Microsoft Store, but they're never announced ahead of time. The latest Xbox restock from Microsoft's own store was on March 1.
If you miss out on restocks at the major retailers, reseller sites like StockX have plenty of units available, though be prepared to pay more than list price. Right now, buyers are asking around $420 for the Series S and $700 for the Series X. If you do buy from a reseller, make sure the Xbox console you're getting has the right type of plug for your region.
Xbox Series X|S accessories
- See Xbox Series X accessories at Amazon
- See Xbox Series X accessories at Best Buy
- See Xbox Series X accessories at Walmart
- See Xbox Series X accessories at GameStop
The great thing about Xbox Series X accessories is that the vast majority of products that were compatible with Xbox One work with the Series X and S as well, including headsets and controllers.
New Xbox Wireless Controllers released alongside the Xbox Series X and Series S, and they're available in Carbon Black, Robot White, and Shock Blue. They feature a more ergonomic design; textured grips on the bumpers, triggers, and back case; and an Elite controller-inspired hybrid D-pad for improved precision. The updated controllers also have a new integrated Share button for capturing and recording gameplay moments.
Xbox Series X|S games and Game Pass subscription
Microsoft is pushing its Xbox Game Pass subscription for next-gen, which grants access to a massive, rotating library of games for a monthly fee, including the ability to play first-party games like Halo Infinite on day one. New subscribers can sign up for their first month of Game Pass Ultimate for $1--do this before you take advantage of any Game Pass deals online. You'll also get an extra month of Game Pass Ultimate for free if you turn on recurring billing (it has to be turned off before you redeem a code in order to get the prompt).
Check out our list of all the Xbox Series X launch games available at launch as well as new Xbox games coming soon.
Xbox Series X And Xbox One News