The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Xbox Series X Restock Updates: Where To Buy The Xbox Series X In April
April has arrived, and we're still tracking Xbox restocks. Get caught up on the latest Xbox Series X restock news and check inventory here.
The Xbox Series X remains difficult to find in stock even close to five months after its launch. Though the Xbox Series S tends to remain in stock longer than the more expensive Xbox Series X, both of Microsoft's next-gen consoles aren't readily available at any major retailer. In fact, they are almost always sold out. Sporadic restocks happen at major retailers such as GameStop, Walmart, and Best Buy, but those restocks always sell out the same day they go live. They often sell out in minutes. Tracking Xbox restocks is difficult enough on its own, let alone being able to actually add the console to your cart and check out, but the best thing to do is to keep checking the listings and follow our best tips, which we've outlined below.
How to buy an Xbox Series X: Our best tips
Securing the Xbox Series X|S isn't impossible; it's largely a matter of luck and being ready at the right time. However, here are some things to keep in mind if you're looking to buy a new Xbox (plus, check out where to buy the official Xbox Wireless Headset that released March 16).
- Follow restock accounts on Twitter and turn on notifications: When it comes to buying an Xbox Series X, it's helpful to follow Twitter accounts that tweet about restocks. You may want to turn on notifications for those accounts as well, though keep in mind some of them tweet about deals and other news as well. Wario64 is a great account to follow, as is Xbox Stock Alerts. Of course, we tweet about Xbox restocks on our GameSpot Deals account as well.
- Stay logged in at major retailers and ensure info is up to date: To help checkout go as smoothly as possible, it's best to have up-to-date accounts at all major retailers, such as GameStop and Walmart. Double-check that your shipping and billing information is accurate as well--you don't want to be updating these sections during a restock when the Series X could sell out any second.
- Be ready at exact restock times when announced beforehand: Generally, Xbox Series X restocks happen without much warning, but Walmart and GameStop in particular are known to announce restocks beforehand, though this could range from days prior to an hour before the restock. These pre-announced restocks can sell out particularly fast, but being ready at your computer with payment information on hand will give you the best chance at snagging an Xbox Series X.
- Keep an eye on smaller retailers: Stores like Amazon and Best Buy aren't the only places to buy an Xbox Series X. You can also find next-gen consoles at stores like Newegg and Antonline. Stores that require certain membership can also be a good option, like the Exchange (military only) and Costco.
- Know whether you're willing to buy a bundle: Some retailers only sell the Xbox Series X in expensive bundles--these include the console along with other items like a bonus controller, a Game Pass subscription, and games. You're paying a premium here to get products you may or may not want, so you should consider if you're willing to pay above MSRP just to own the Xbox Series X.
- Bookmark the product pages: It's a good idea to know exactly where to buy the Xbox Series X at Amazon, Walmart, and other major retailers. Save the direct listings for these stores so you know exactly what page to refresh. We've rounded up those links further down in this article.
When will Xbox Series X|S stock stabilize?
Don't expect the Xbox stock situation to improve much until this summer at the earliest, as Microsoft recently admitted Xbox Series X|S stock will be "constrained at least through June," according to The New York Times. The company apparently sold every Xbox Series X|S unit it had last quarter, and it hasn't shared any specific restock news for 2021.
However, the console shortages will likely continue for even longer than that, as the global chip shortage has reached a "crisis" point. There's a widespread semiconductor shortage that's affecting several different industries, including console production as well as cars and other tech. The shortage has been "steadily worsening since last year," according to The Guardian, and shows no sign of improving right now.
Where to buy the Xbox Series X|S
In the meantime, you can check the Xbox Series X listings at major retailers as well as the latest restock news below. It could be a few weeks before you actually get the system once you order it, so keep that in mind when planning your downtime. As of now, you still can't really find the console in retail stores without a pickup order. While you can more easily buy the Xbox Series X above MSRP in bundles or on reseller sites like StockX, we do recommend waiting to buy the new Xbox for its list price of $500.
Xbox Series X availability at GameStop
GameStop had Xbox Series X bundles in stock on March 9, but its latest restock on April 8 only featured the Xbox Series S. The Xbox bundles at GameStop usually include three months of Game Pass Ultimate, an extra controller, a GameStop gift card, and sometimes a game. As a result, they can cost up to several hundred dollars more than list price for the console itself.
Xbox Series X availability at Best Buy
Best Buy restocked the Xbox Series X and Series S online on March 26. Consoles tend to pop up without any warning at Best Buy, which will release stock every few minutes rather than all at once. Best Buy didn't have any Xbox Series X or Series S units in stores in 2020, but the retailer has stated that stock will be on store shelves this year.
Xbox Series X availability at Walmart
Walmart last restocked the Xbox Series X and Series S on March 18, marking the second time it's restocked the new Xbox consoles this month. The retailer followed its usual approach of releasing waves of consoles every 10 minutes. As usual, the Xbox Series X sold out almost immediately each time it was made available, though the Series S stuck around a little longer. Walmart also restocked the Xbox Series X and Series S with Xbox All Access on March 25, and as of our last update, the Series S All Access bundle was still available.
Xbox Series X availability at Amazon
We don't know when you'll be able to buy an Xbox Series X from Amazon again. While we've seen it restock the PS5 a few times, Amazon has had very little Xbox Series X|S inventory since the consoles first launched on November 10, and there's no word on a restock in the near future. Amazon's listings even say, "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Xbox Series X availability at Target
Both the Xbox Series X and Series S were restocked at Target on March 11. There's no word on when the next restock might be.
Xbox Series X|S accessories
- See Xbox Series X accessories at Amazon
- See Xbox Series X accessories at Best Buy
- See Xbox Series X accessories at Walmart
- See Xbox Series X accessories at GameStop
The great thing about Xbox Series X accessories is that the vast majority of products that were compatible with Xbox One work with the Series X and S as well, including headsets and controllers.
New Xbox Wireless Controllers released alongside the Xbox Series X and Series S, and they're available in Carbon Black, Robot White, and Shock Blue. They feature a more ergonomic design; textured grips on the bumpers, triggers, and back case; and an Elite controller-inspired hybrid D-pad for improved precision. The updated controllers also have a new integrated Share button for capturing and recording gameplay moments.
Xbox Series X|S games and Game Pass subscription
Microsoft is pushing its Xbox Game Pass subscription for next-gen, which grants access to a massive, rotating library of games for a monthly fee, including the ability to play first-party games like Halo Infinite on day one. New subscribers can sign up for their first month of Game Pass Ultimate for $1--do this before you take advantage of any Game Pass deals online. You'll also get an extra month of Game Pass Ultimate for free if you turn on recurring billing (it has to be turned off before you redeem a code in order to get the prompt).
Check out our list of all the Xbox Series X launch games available at launch as well as new Xbox games coming soon. Plus, see the best Xbox Game Pass games available now.
Xbox Series X And Xbox One News