Xbox Series X: Official Specs, Target Performance, And More Revealed
Microsoft has dug deep into the internals of the Xbox Series X
Microsoft has revealed numerous new details regarding all the technical aspects of its upcoming Xbox Series X in an Xbox Wire post an accompanying report from Digital Foundry. Included is the first full specifications sheet for the new console, confirming CPU and GPU speeds, storage requirements, and target performance metrics.
The Xbox Series X will feature 12 teraflops of performance, built off AMD's new RDNA 2 architecture. The GPU will feature 16GB of GDDR6 memory across a variable memory bus--10GB will run at 560GB/s, while the remaining 6GB will run at a slower 330GB/s. The spec sheet also confirms that the Series X will support two types of external memory, allowing you to expand SSD storage with a proprietary drive from Seagate or store games on an external HDD (in the same way as the Xbox One).
Microsoft has also stated that it aims to release games that target 4K and 60 frames-per-second as a standard. The spec sheet also reconfirms that the console will target 120 frames-per-second for some titles, and support variable refresh rate displays.
Gears 5 will get an updated Series X version with new enhancements, and it'll be free for those who already own the game. Additionally, new videos have showcased Series X's quick resume feature and feaster loading times.
The full specifications can be seen below:
- CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz (3.6GHz with SMT)
- GPU: 12 TFLOPs, 52 CUs at 1.825GHz, Custom RDNA 2
- Die Size: 360.45mm2
- Process: TSMC 7nm Enhanced
- Memory: 16GB GDDR6
- Memory Bandwidth: 10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 336GB/s
- Internal Storage: 1TB Custom NVMe SSD
- IO Throughput: 2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable Storage: 1TB Expansion Card
- External Storage: USB 3.2 HDD Support
- Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
- Performance Target: 4K at 60fps - up to 120fps
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.