Xbox One/PS4/PC New IP Battleborn from Borderlands Dev Gets More Details and New Trailer
Get the scoop on Battleborn.
We'll begin emailing you updates about %gameName%.
First, Battleborn will have 25 playable characters. As you'd expect, each has unique weapons and abilities, and can grow stronger by way of the game's "Helix System." This allows players to boost their character from level 1-10 in a single-player mission or multiplayer match.
Black Panther Breaks Marvel's Iron Man Mould Kingdom Come Deliver Us From Evil March 2018 Xbox One And 360 Free Games With Gold Announced Dragon Ball FighterZ - Bardock Character Teaser Battlefield 1 - Apocalypse Trailer Everything We Want in Black Panther's Sequel Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus - Switch Launch Trailer GS News Update: Half-Life's Gordon Freeman Comes To Final Fantasy 15 PC GS News Update: Death Stranding Cast Adds The Last Of Us And Days Gone Actors Fortnite: Battle Royale - Battle Pass Season 3 Announcement Trailer Soulcalibur 6 - Zasalamel Character Trailer Soulcalibur 6 - Ivy Character Trailer
Battleborn's story mode allows gamers to play alone or together with up to four others through co-op via splitscreen and online. Gearbox stresses, however, that the entire narrative can be played fully solo. You can also replay missions to score better loot a second time around.
Switching to multiplayer, three distinct modes will be available at launch. With descriptions courtesy of Gearbox, these are:
- Incursion: Teams of heroes defend their base from waves of AI-controlled minions while working together, alongside their own minions, to destroy their opponents’ base;
- Devastation: Teams of heroes face off in a fast-paced death match and must capture and hold objectives on the map to win;
- Meltdown: Teams of heroes protect their minions as they march to their death at the center of the map. Points are scored for minions who throw themselves into the incinerator, and the team with the most points wins.
Gearbox has also announced a "Persistent Progression System" for Battleborn. Here's how it works, courtesy of Gearbox:
- Persistent Progression System: All experience points, whether earned through playing Battleborn's Story Mode or Competitive Multiplayer modes, contribute to leveling up individual Character Rank, as well as player profile Command Rank:
- Character Rank: Each hero can permanently rank up from 1 to 10 outside of missions and matches, allowing players to swap out augments in their helix skill tree, as well as unlock skins.
- Command Rank: Players can rank-up their own player profile, unlocking badges and titles to impress friends, and loot that can be used to benefit any hero the player chooses to command.
Battleborn is scheduled to launch during 2K Games parent company Take-Two's fiscal 2016, meaning it should arrive before April 2016.
Gearbox previously described Battleborn as the "most ambitious" game the studio has ever made. The Texas-based developer is perhaps best known for the Borderlands series, but it also created the Brothers in Arms franchise and has worked on various entries in the Halo, Half-Life, and Duke Nukem series.
For a closer look at Battleborn, check out some images in the gallery below. What's more, Take-Two has teased that Battleborn will be at E3 next month "in a big way."