WoW Classic: Known Issues At Launch (Besides The Long Queues And Waits)
The World of Warcraft re-release has arrived, and there are some problems.
World of Warcraft's much-anticipated "Classic" edition--which lets you experience the MMO as it was a decade ago, before the expansions--has finally arrived. The release wasn't without problems, however, as Blizzard has now disclosed a long list of "known issues" for launch. And this is to say nothing of the long server queues or the literal lines players are forming in order to complete in-game objectives.
In a blog post, Blizzard said it hopes to fix these problems in due course, but the company also acknowledged that it can't say when or even if any individual bug will be addressed. The known issues span a number of different aspects of WoW Classic, including art, animation, and sound; combat; creatures and NPCs; UI; and spells, buffs, and talents.
You can see a list of all the known issues below; they're accurate as of August 26. Additionally, Blizzard said the list is not comprehensive, but instead it is a "sampling" of some of the issues it anticipates players may experience "with some regularity."
Importantly, this list of known issues for WoW Classic is separate from another list of "not bugs," which are things that might look like bugs but are actually accurate to the Classic experience.
WoW Classic, as its name suggests, is a re-release of the original genre-defining MMO from 2004 with some functionality changes. It's free for existing subscribers of WoW. For more, check out our rundown of everything you need to know about WoW Classic.
Launch is just the beginning for WoW Classic, as Blizzard plans to release new features and activities including the raid Blackwing Lair, the PvP battleground Warsong Gulch, and server-wide events like the Scourge Invasion, among other things.
WoW Classic Known Issues (as of August 26)
Art, Animation, and Sound
- The Warlock’s Imp pet is using an incorrect spell casting animation
- Some belts are displaying extra textures on non-belt areas of the body
- There are multiple display issues with the Egan’s Blaster quest item
- The quiver model is not displaying on the Hunter’s back if you have an ammo pouch in your bags
- The player character’s upper torso/head is locked forward while strafing left and right with something targeted
- Players can become stuck in a ready animation when activating Shoot or Auto Shot more than once in rapid succession
- Characters will rotate their lower body too responsively while in the combat ready stance
- Food and drink objects do not fade correctly when a stealthed character is eating or drinking
- Casting Shoot immediately after casting another spell can cause the wand animation to become delayed
- Noggenfogger Elixir does not retain the skeleton model on a shapeshifted Druid
- A Hunter’s Auto-Shot does not animate, display a missile, or play a sound when it fires immediately after Aimed Shot or Multi-Shot
- Several spell visuals for Hunter, Warlock, and Paladin abilities will incorrectly continue to loop after the initial spell cast or impact
- A Hunter’s Freezing Trap is missing a ring visual above the trap
- The Warrior skill Recklessness has a persistent visual throughout its duration, which did not occur in Original WoW
- Several player spells and abilities can occasionally play additional overlapping sound effects when used
- Sheathing and unsheathing weapons does not play a sound.
- Hunter Pets may occasionally get stuck on Follow if the command is issued during Feign Death
- Extra attacks stored by Reckoning do not expire when the player mounts
- A Hunter’s Multi-Shot ability can chain more than 10 yards from the primary target
- A Warlock’s Drain Soul spell does not appropriately deal damage when the channel time is shortened via spell pushback
Creatures and NPCs
- Loot sparkles do not scale up with creature size
- Creatures that are affected by a Rogue’s Distract ability do not turn quickly enough
- Creatures that are affected by a Rogue’s Gouge ability will occasionally turn to face a different direction
- Battle Companions such as the Battle Chicken may occasionally become frozen after combat and fail to follow the player
- Gordo may occasionally wander through the side of a bridge and get stuck inside of a tree in Tirisfal Glades
- The dragon Gyth has multiple animation issues during the Rend Blackhand encounter in Blackrock Spire
- Taking a flight path from Nethergarde Keep to Morgan’s Vigil will cause the taxi to clip through a building shortly after taking off
Engine and User Interface
- When within detection range of a friendly stealthed unit, the stealthed unit’s name is incorrectly visible
- SSAO does not render correctly in Windows 10
- Macro tooltips do not load in when you first load into the client
- Some area of effect debuffs like Explosive Trap do not display a duration
- Several ranks of Warlock and Shaman spells do not display damage variance in their tooltips
- If Dual Wield is known, One-Hand weapons may be erroneously equipped to the Off-Hand slot if dragged into the Main Hand slot while a Main Hand weapon is equipped
- The default raid frames do not hide long-term buffs like Power Word: Fortitude while in combat
- Macros that cast Pet abilities without specifying the rank do not update when the Pet learns a new rank of the ability
- There is a conflict with some overlays such as Discord and Shadowplay that causes the client to crash when some video settings are adjusted
- The chat messages that indicate a player’s inebriation level are incorrect
Spells, Buffs, and Talents
- Players can mount on transports
- Cleansed Songflower, Cleansed Whipper Root, and Cleansed Night Dragon cannot be simultaneously looted by multiple players
- Players are not forced to re-purchase ranks of talented abilities that they have bought at least once before
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com