With Major Features Missing, EA Outlines NHL 15's Post-Launch Update Plans
Here's what EA has in store for updates coming in September and October.
30 MORE Things You STILL Didn't Know In Zelda Breath Of The Wild Halo Infinite Technical Alpha Gameplay Livestream Scav Karma: Escape From Tarkov's Best Feature Yet Firearms Expert Reacts To EVEN MORE Escape From Tarkov Guns NEO: The World Ends With You Video Review The Suicide Squad Stars Plays WOULD YOU RATHER Pokémon Unite Video Review Outer Wilds: Echos Of The Eye - Official Reveal Trailer Stray - Official Gameplay Walkthrough Storyteller - Official Reveal Trailer Skin Deep - Official Gameplay Trailer Solar Ash - Official Gameplay Trailer
Following the outrage that has been expressed by hockey fans over the absence of certain modes and features in the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of NHL 15, EA Sports has outlined its plans for free, post-launch updates.
In a post on the EA forums, series producer Sean Ramjagsingh shared some details on updates coming in the next two months. Some of these will address issues raised by fans--like the draft being automated--while other complaints (no GM Connected mode, no minor league teams in Be a Pro, no All-Star Game in Be a Pro, and so on) won't immediately be dealt with.
Coming in September:
- Playoff mode: An offline tournament mode for up to 16 teams will be added.
- Coach feedback in Be a Pro mode: While on the bench, your coach will offer you tips and feedback.
- Stars of the game: The end of a game in any mode will be marked with its three best players (and their stats) being highlighted.
- Ultimate Team changes: The store's layout will be updated, new animations will be added for items, and the edit lines screen will be improved.
Coming in October:
- Online Team Play: This missing mode will be added post-launch, as promised.
- GM Draft: You'll finally be able to draft your own players in the Be a GM mode.
Ramjagsingh said the developer is "incredibly proud" of the game and thanked fans "for being part of this journey." He didn't say anything about updates beyond those highlighted above (though the game will receive the usual roster updates throughout the NHL season), but did note, "As always your feedback is fundamental to how we make NHL better and better, so we will also be looking to what you want to see implemented in the game."
We learned last month the certain modes included in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of NHL 15 would not be present in the series' debut on Xbox One and PS4. Then, as fans got the chance to play NHL 15 through EA Access, we learned even more was absent on current-gen consoles, such as the ability to draft players in Be a GM or play against friends in Ultimate Team.
NHL 15 launches tomorrow, September 9. We've reached out to EA to find out if more updates are planned beyond what Ramjagsingh talked about and will report back with anything we learn.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.