What's New In Nintendo Switch Update 6.0, Out Now With Switch Online
The major patch that introduces the Nintendo Switch Online membership is out now.
The latest Nintendo Switch update has arrived, and it's a notable one. Update 6.0 is out now, and it adds the long-awaited Nintendo Switch Online service and its related functionality. Most importantly, you now need a Switch Online membership to play online for many games.
Your Online membership also gets you cloud saves for compatible games, which is nice. Outside of the new online functionality, Update 6.0 adds six new Captain Toad icons (what great timing, huh?), while you can now post up to four screenshots to social media.
A major feature has been removed with the 6.0 update. You can no longer unlink your Nintendo Account from your Switch user profile after the new update. You can see the full 6.0 patch notes below, as posted on Nintendo's website.
Nintendo Switch Online offers a free trial week, after which you'll be charged if you don't cancel. It will cost $4 for one month, $8 for a three-month period, and $20 for a 12-month period. You can also get a 12-month family plan for $35.
The service will also launch with a selection of classic NES games for download. It will host 20 upon launch, with more planned to come next month. Check out our wrap-up of everything we know for more details.
Nintendo Switch 6.0 Patch Notes:
- Save Data Cloud Backup
- User your internet connection to back up game save data for compatible games
- Some games are not compatible with Save Data Cloud
- To back up save data or download a previous backup, head to System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud Backup
*Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Save Data Cloud backup available in compatible games. Terms apply. To learn more, click here.
Added the following system functionality
- Upload up to four Album screenshots at once on supported social network services
- Only one captured video can be uploaded at once
- Select from six new Captain Toad icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Play your digital software and content on non-primary consoles by linking your Nintendo Account
- The term "active console" has been renamed "primary console" in Nintendo eShops
- Playing software in multiple consoles has certain restrictions
- Display of Nintendo Switch News articles will be limited to match the restricted software parental controls setting selections
- Please note that the restriction will only apply to News articles distributed after the release of version 6.0.0.
- Change the layout of the USB keyboard to the desired language
- To change the language, head to the System Settings > System > USB Keyboard
Removed the following system functionality
- After installing the system update, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
- Compatibility improvements have been made for a controller licensed by Nintendo
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org