Watch First Angry Birds Movie Trailer
"Why do birds suddenly appear?"
Sony Pictures has released the first trailer for its upcoming movie based on the Angry Birds franchise.
The film, due out in May 2016, follows the story of a bird named Red, voiced by actor and SNL alum Jason Sudeikis. The other lead characters are Chuck (voiced by Josh Gad) and Bomb (voiced by Danny McBride). The movie will provide new insight into why the birds are so angry, Sony says. Check out the trailer below.
It represents developer Rovio Entertainment's first stab at a feature film based on the mobile game. The studio has worked on smaller-sized Angry Birds video productions, however, as it is behind the Angry Birds Toons animated series, which has tallied more than three billion views to date.
The film is produced by visual effects and animation studio Sony Pictures Imageworks, and will be distributed around the world by Sony Pictures. Animated movie veterans Fergal Reilly (Spider-Man 2, The Iron Giant) and Clay Kaytis (Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled) are directing it.
Angry Birds Movie Voice Actors:
- Jason Sudeikis -- (Saturday Night Live, Horrible Bosses) -- He plays the lead character, a bird named Red who has a "temper problem."
- Josh Gad -- (Frozen, 21) -- He plays "speedy" Chuck.
- Danny McBride -- (Eastbound & Down, This is the End) -- He plays the "volatile Bomb."
- Bill Hader -- (Saturday Night Live, Superbad) -- He plays a pig.
- Maya Rudolph -- (Bridesmaids, Saturday Night Live) -- She plays someone named Matilda.
- Peter Dinklage -- (Game of Thrones) -- He plays a bird named Mighty Eagle.
Supporting cast (roles unspecified):
- Keegan-Michael Key -- (Key & Peele)
- Kate McKinnon -- (Saturday Night Live)
- Tony Hale -- (Arrested Development)
- Ian Barinholtz -- (Neighbors)
- Hannibal Buress -- (Broad City)
- Cristela Alonzo -- (Cristela)
- Jillian Bell -- (22 Jump Street)
- Danielle Brooks -- (Orange is the New Black)
- Romeo Santos -- (Latin music singer)
- Ian Andre Hecox and Anthony Padilla -- (Of YouTube fame)
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.