The Game Awards 2020 Announcements: All The Biggest News
Find out all the biggest news and announcements from The Game Awards 2020 right here.
The Game Awards took place on December 10, and it spent several hours delivering not only awards, but also a host of new game announcements and updates on existing games. Hosted by Geoff Keighley, as usual, the show included 30 different award categories--including the big Game of the Year award--and featured numerous trailers, all while being conducted virtually. It even had a few musical numbers that players should appreciate.
Below, you can find a full recap of The Game Awards winners and some of the biggest announcements.
Where To Watch The Game Awards
The Game Awards was livestreamed on numerous platforms, but now that is has ended, your easiest option is directly below. Just scroll through until the countdown timer ends and you'll get the pre-show, which contains some awards and reveals of its own.
Restart The Game Awards 2020 Livestream WoW Classic Season of Discovery - What's New Trailer Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League | Official Deadshot Trailer Best and Worst Odds: Game of the Year at Game Awards 2023 | ODDSMAKER Fallout 76 - Season 15: The Big Score Cookie Cutter Xbox Series X / S Announcement and Release Date Trailer FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time – The FLi's Makeover Trailer Bloodlines 2 - Dev Diary Recap #2 Cyberpunk Director Breaks Down Phantom Liberty Endings Professor Layton and the New World of Steam – Official Release Window Gameplay Trailer MEGATON MUSASHI: WIRED – 2nd Trailer TEKKEN 8 - Official Steve Fox Gameplay Reveal Trailer
Everything Announced During The Game Awards
- Loop Hero: Revealing during Devolver Digital's mock Game Awards segment, Loop Hero is a puzzle roguelike set in a time loop. Using a deck of magical cards, you can power up your hero and rearrange the path forward to overcome obstacles and enemies in order to restore balance to the world.
- Tchia: Inspired by the culture of the small country of New Caledonia, Tchia is an open-world adventure game that uses physics-driven mechanics to explore the massive sandbox environment.
- Sea of Solitude -- Director's Cut on Switch: Coming from Jo Mei, Sea of Solitude: Director's Cut revamps the original game to include new music, voice-overs, a photo mode, and enhanced visuals. It will arrive on the Nintendo Switch on March 4, 2021.
- Shady Part of Me: Revealed during The Game Awards, Shady Part of Me is a new dreamlike adventure game focusing on a young girl exploring a surreal world full of puzzles. Shady Part of Me is available to play now on PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Switch.
- Nier Replicant gameplay reveal trailer: Here's some new gameplay for the remake of Nier Replicant. It features the improved visuals and overhauled combat not seen in the first version. The game releases next April for PS4, Xbox One and PC.
- Century: Age of Ashes: In this new action-adventure, you pilot a giant dragon to face off against other rival foes. Century is set to launch in beta sometime in February 2021.
Main Show Reveals
- Sephiroth makes his debut in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: The next character coming to Smash Bros. Ultimate is Cloud's nemesis, Sephiroth, and he'll be able to download later this month. Check out the new trailer.
- The Next Perfect Dark Game: As the first game from Microsoft's Initiative studio, Perfect Dark is a reboot of the classic N64 and Xbox 360 first-person shooter starting the superspy, Joanna Dark. In this next game, we find Agent Dark dealing with a new threat created by the evil corporations of the future.
- Back 4 Blood gameplay reveal: Coming from Turtle Rock Studios, the developers of the original Left 4 Dead, Back 4 Blood is a spiritual successor to Valve's fan-favorite zombie-action game. In addition to a new trailer, we also saw the gameplay reveal, showing off how you and your friends will overcome the swarm of the infected.
- Hood: Outlaws and Legends: In the new trailer for Hood, we get to see the expanded stealth and melee combat from the four different classes. The co-op stealth-action fantasy game is set for an early access launch on May 7, 2021.
- Forza Horizon 4 -- Cyberpunk 2077 DLC: On December 11, Horizon 4 players will be able to download free DLC that will add in a vehicle from CD Projekt Red's open-world RPG.
- The Callisto Protocol game reveal: Coming from Striking Distance Studios, started by the creators of the Dead Space series, The Callisto Protocol is a sci-fi survival horror game set on Jupiter's moon.
- Warhammer 40K: Darktide gameplay reveal: From the team behind Warhammer: Vermintide II, Darktide takes the familiar co-op action gameplay into the 40K universe. It will be available on Xbox and PC.
- Fullbright's next game, Open Roads: Coming from the developers of Gone Home and Tacoma, Open Roads is an adventure focusing on the story of a mother and daughter looking to unlock lost secrets from their past. Open Roads will be published by Annapurna Interative.
- Disco Elysium: The Final Cut reveal: Releasing as a free upgrade for all players, Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is an enhanced version of 2019's most original adventure game. In addition to new quests, The Final Cut will also add in full voice overs for every character in the game. This enhanced addition will be available to all players sometime in March 2021.
- New trailer for Dragon Age 4: In this new narrative trailer for Bioware's upcoming RPG, Dragon Age 4, we get to see our first look at the new cities, landscapes, and dungeons found in the next game in franchise.
- Endless Dungeon reveal: Coming from Sega and Amplitude Studio, Endless Dungeon is a sci-fi roguelike focusing on the a crew of space explorers fighting through derelict space stations.
- Crimson Desert new trailer: Revealed back in 2019, Crimson Desert is an open-world high-fantasy action game set in a large-scale world. In this new trailer from The Game Awards, we get to see more of the scale and action in the game's world. Crimson Desert is planned for a Winter 2021 launch.
- New Warframe content, Unreal Tournament arsenal: Starting today and until December 24, Warframe players will be able to get new weapons inspired by the fan-favorite FPS, Unreal Tournament. Some of these include the popular Flak Cannon.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War -- Season 1 gameplay reveal: In the next free update coming to Black Ops Cold War on December 17, players will be able to dive into new maps, earn new weapons, and start investing time in the new battle pass to earn unlockable gear and costumes.
- New game reveal, Season: Coming from Scavengers Studios, Season is a new adventure game focusing on a young explorer finding his way through a world that doesn't have much time left.
- Ark 2 reveal, new sequel starring Vin Diesel: In one of the show's more surprising reveals, developer Wildcard revealed the first sequel to Ark. In the new trailer, we see a nomadic tribe explorer the dangerous alien world full of dinosaurs and hostile enemy factions. The biggest surprise of the trailer was that the tribe's leader was played by none other than actor Vin Diesel.
- New gameplay trailer for Elite: Dangerous' Odyssey expansion: In the new trailer for Odyssey, Elite: Dangerous' next expansion, we saw more gameplay showing off the game's first on-foot exploration and combat.
- New Outriders gameplay trailer: The latest trailer for People Can Fly's new co-op shooter breaks down many of the game's key mechanics and powers, allowing you and others to take down hordes of monsters.
- F.I.S.T., new gameplay trailer: Revealed last year, F.I.S.T. focuses on the story of an engineer who wields a massive mechanical arm to fight off against robots and other foes.
- Evil Dead: The Game reveal: In this new co-op survival horror game inspired by the film series, players will be to play as Ash and other survivors from across history to face off against legions of deadites. And yes, Bruce Campbell is returning to voice the fan-favorite character.
- Ghosts and Goblins: Resurrection reveal: Coming to the Nintendo Switch, Capcom has a new remaster for its infamous action game in the works, and it'll be out in February of next year.
- Returnal, new gameplay trailer: First revealed during the PS5 summer event, Housemarque's new sci-fi action game set in a time loop will be heading to the new console on March 16, 2021.
- New game reveal, Road 96: In this procedurally generated adventure game, you player as a young drifter who has to make it across the border by hitchhiking or trekking on-foot across a dangerous desert terrain.
- New game from Hazelight, It Takes Two: In this new reveal, Josef Fares showed off his new co-op action game It Takes two. Focusing on the story of a couple who are turned into dolls, they have to work together solving puzzles in order to restore their bodies. For more on It Takes Two, check out our interview with Josef Fares.
- Elder Scrolls Online, new expansion reveal: During The Game Awards, Zenimax Studios revealed the new expansion coming to ESO, the Gates of Oblivion. In the cinematic trailer, we saw a young women having a vision of an oblivion gate opening up in the world, leading the way into the dark realm full of demons.
- Oddworld: Soulstorm gameplay trailer: In the newest trailer for Oddworld: Soulstorm, we see returning hero Abe continue his journey to save the mudokons from the evil company forcing them into slavery.
- New trailer for Monster Hunter Rise: In the latest gameplay trailer for Monster Hunter Rise coming to the Nintendo Switch, we see the hunters team up to face monsters and explore the different environments in the world. Though Monster Hunter Rise is coming to Nintendo Switch on March 26, players will be able to download a demo for the game next month to get an early taste of the game.
- Evil West, game reveal: Coming from developer Flying Wild Hog, the same team behind the Shadow Warrior reboot trilogy, takes the similar fast-paced and over-the-top gameplay to the era of the wild west.
- Scarlet Nexus new gameplay trailer: In the latest trailer for Bandai Namco's Scarlet Nexus, we got to see more of what's to come with the large roster of playable characters in the main story, and how they can handle themselves in a fight.
- New map reveal for Among Us: During The Game Awards, the developers behind the popular game about deception revealed the next map for the game, set on an Airship. Like other maps, the Airship has different sections to hide and confuse potential targets, including a kitchen. Also, users on Twitch can get a special mask with the likeness of Geoff Keighley--because why not.
- New Fortnite reveals: In addition to Halo's Master Chief being a playable character in the popular online-shooter, The Walking Dead's Darryl Dixon and Michonne will also be playable characters as well.
- New Game Pass Updates: The Game Awards 2020 had a surprise reveal for more games coming to Xbox's Game Pass service. In addition to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim arriving on Game Pass, Sega's Yakuza series--particularly 3, 4, 5, and 6--will also be coming to the on-going service.
- Ruined King -- A League of Legends Story gameplay reveal: In the next spinoff from the League of Legends franchise, Ruined King is a classic-inspired RPG focusing on many of the characters and events on the fringes. Taking cues from developer Airship Syndicate's previous game Battle Chasers, battles take place in turn-based combat where you'll have to chose your move carefully in order to take down your enemies.
- The next Mass Effect game revealed: In the final reveal of the show, Bioware showed off the first trailer for the next Mass Effect game. Instead of taking place in the Andromeda galaxy, we're heading back to the solar system to return to the setting of the original trilogy. The trailer ends with with an unknown Asari uncovering a lost piece of N7 armor. Speculate away, Mass Effect fans.
The Game Awards 2020 News & Announcements
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.