The Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi TV Show Delays Shooting Until 2021
That Obi-Wan Kenobi TV show might take longer than you expect.
[UPDATE]: Obi-Wan actor Ewan McGregor has spoken to GameSpot about these reports, saying that everything is less dramatic than originally reported--they've pushed the dates to give everyone more time, McGregor says, not because the scripts were bad. He says that filming has been pushed until January 2021, after reportedly being expected to start this summer. According to the actor, despite this delay, the release date of the show itself has not been affected, although we don't yet know when the Obi-Wan show is slated to release on Disney+. The original story follows.
While the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney+ has yet to be given a premiere date, it might end up taking every longer to debut than originally expected. According to a new report, work on the show has been put on hold for an indefinite period of time.
The news comes from Collider, which reports that the crew for the series that was preparing to film at London's Pinewood studios has been sent home with no timeframe on when the series will be moving forward. As for why it's delayed, Collider cites rumors of Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy being unhappy with the scripts written thus far. Sources tell the outlet that production could potentially kick off this summer, but there's no guarantee.
If true, this wouldn't be the first time a Star Wars project has faced a creative setback in recent years. Both Rogue One and Solo were reworked during production. In Solo's case, Ron Howard took over the job of directing the film from Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Most recently, The Rise of Skywalker was originally to be directed by Colin Trevorrow, before he was replaced by JJ Abrams.
The Obi-Wan project was previously revealed to be set eight years after the Star Wars prequels and the character's duel with Anakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith, which ended with his former Padawan's transformation into Darth Vader. Ewan McGregor, who played the character in Episodes I-III, is set to reprise the role. Deborah Chow, who directed Episodes 3 and 7 of the Disney+ series The Mandalorian, is signed on to serve as executive producer and showrunner of the series.
The Mandalorian will return later in 2020 for Season 2. Meanwhile, Star Wars: The Clone Wars will debut a new season on Disney+ on February 21.
Disclosure: ViacomCBS is GameSpot's parent company.
Disclosure: ViacomCBS is GameSpot's parent company
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com