The Batman Actor Compares The Movie To Something Very Unexpected
"There's something about it that has an edge, it's young."
One of the most-anticipated new comic book movies is DC's The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson in the title role. While there has been a lot of news about the casting, very little is known about what the movie will actually offer in terms of story or tone. Now, actor Peter Sarsgaard has provided some fresh insight, and his comments are anything but traditional.
Sarsgaard--whose role in The Batman is yet to be confirmed--told CinemaBlend that the movie has the vibe of a Pixies concert from decades ago. He said The Batman feels "young" and and edgy, thanks in part to its cast, and not unlike the iconic alt rock band.
"The cast is so awesome. It seems different from other Batman movies to me, just with the cast," Sarsgaard said. "There's something about it that has an edge, it's young. To me, just my perception of it, it reminds me of when I was in college, and I went to go see The Pixies play, and looking around and feeling the vibe at a Pixies concert. That's what it felt like to me, a song like 'I Bleed.' That it has the energy and that sort of thing, and isn't so specifically targeted to a very young audience, or a very old audience, but has that power of chaos in it…"
Sarsgaard went on to say the kind of connection he felt with the audience at Pixies concerts is similar to what he feels with his castmates in The Batman.
"The Pixies were my favorite group of all time. I went to like 20 concerts, and it was that feeling of all of us in this. And it's very emotional. The Pixies were incredibly emotional band, and I think this Batman is very emotional in that way," he said. "I think it will be very powerful."
The Batman is not Sarsgaard's first comic book movie, as he portrayed Hector Hammond in the disappointing and unsuccessful Green Lantern movie back in 2011. Another connection Sarsgaard has to comic book movies is through his wife, Maggie Gyllenhaal, who starred in The Dark Knight.
The Batman is scheduled to hit theatres in June 2021. It's directed by Matt Reeves, who previously directed Cloverfield, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and War for the Planet of the Apes.
In addition to Pattinson as Batman, the film features Jeffrey Wright as Comissioner Gordon, Colin Farrell as The Penguin, Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, Andy Serkis as Alfred, Paul Dano as The Riddler, and John Turturro as Carmine Falcone.
- New Batwoman Revealed: Here's Who Is Playing Ryan Wilder
- Justice League, Other DC Movies Won't Leave HBO Max In July After All
- Justice League Snyder Cut Gets First Clip, With Darkseid Footage
- + Show More Related Content Links (7)
- HBO Max Already Losing Justice League And Several Other DC Movies, Temporarily
- Zack Snyder Teases Darkseid In The Snyder Cut, Kind Of
- Birds Of Prey Review - The Movie Harley Quinn Deserves
- Confused By HBO's Watchmen Series? Grab The Graphic Novel For A Super Low Price
- Joker Movie Director Responds To Criticisms -- "Outrage Is A Commodity"
- How Justice League Broke Batman
- Did You Catch This Subtle Justice League Easter Egg In Batman V. Superman?
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the conversation