Stores prepare for Warlords IV invasion
Latest title in fantasy strategy series en route to retailers today.
Thirteen years after the first Warlords fought its way onto computers, the long-running PC strategy series started a new chapter when Warlords IV: Heroes of Etheria shipped to stores today.
Published by Ubisoft and developed by Infinite Interactive, the game eschews the real-time combat of spin-off Warlords Battlecry II. Instead, the game returns to the turn-based system of the original SSG-developed Warlords franchise, albeit with improved graphics and gameplay. The new game has assembled an army of new features, which include:
- New speed tactical system, which speeds up combat.
- 3D-rendered height-mapped terrain.
- Persistent warlords that can be re-used in campaign, skirmish, or multiplayer modes.
- Enhanced AI for craftier opponents.
- A new open-ended, dynamic, nonlinear campaign.
- Unique multiplayer features that allow both allied play and free-for-all online play for up to eight players.
- Ten factions with unique units, weapons, and combat styles.
- Automated combat casting and high-quality graphical effects.
- 120 different fantastical units that grow stronger with experience.
- Variable victory conditions in both single- and multiplayer modes.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.