Spotify's 2020 Gaming Recap Shows PlayStation and Xbox Usage Is Way Up
Gamers have been streaming audio content from their consoles more than ever during the pandemic. Here's what we've been listening to in 2020.
You've probably seen pretty much everyone you follow online posting their 2020 Wrapped info from Spotify, detailing everyone's stats for time listened, top artists, genres, podcasts, and more. Well gamers, we haven't been excluded from the trend. This year, Spotify recorded an almost 55% increase globally in streaming from game consoles, both Xbox and PlayStation, as revealed in a special Wrapped that highlights what those users were listening to this year.
Video game soundtracks did particularly well, unsurprisingly. Minecraft, Doom, and Death Stranding all had their soundtracks in the top streamed category this year, and the soundtrack for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 spiked more than 316% once the game launched. It's hard to get those punk rock anthems out of your head after hearing them for several hours at a time. While some of the songs were new, many others also appeared on the original games.
If you don't currently have a Spotify Premium subscription but do have a Game Pass Ultimate membership, you can get a free three-month trial of the music service.
Curious to see what everyone was jamming out to? Here's Spotify's breakdown of streaming trends from consoles in 2020.
Spotify's 2020 Gaming Recap
- We saw more than 47% increase in early morning (6AM-9AM) streaming on gaming consoles in 2020.
- And in some countries, we saw an even bigger increase in streaming from consoles from 2019 to 2020 - in Oman, we saw more than 242% increase!
- Rap and Trap were the most-streamed music genres this year.
- Most-streamed artists for gaming in 2020: Juice WRLD, XXXTENTACION, Travis Scott, Lil Uzi Vert and YoungBoy Never Broke Again.
- Most-streamed female artists on gaming consoles in 2020: Billie Eilish, Halsey, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj and Dua Lipa.
- Top streamed songs for gaming in 2020: “The Box” by Roddy Ricch, “Blueberry Faygo” by Lil Mosey, “goosebumps” by Travis Scott, “ROCKSTAR” by DaBaby feat. Roddy Ricch and “Falling” by Trevor Daniel.
- Most popular podcasts for gaming in 2020: The Misfits Podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, Mom’s Basement, Archive and VIEWS with David Dobrick and Jason Nash.
- The top-streamed video game soundtracks of 2020: “Minecraft - Volume Beta” by C418, “Doom (Original Game Soundtrack)” by Mick Gordon and “DEATH STRANDING: Timefall” by DEATH STRANDING: Timefall.
- After the release of the new Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2, the soundtrack on Spotify spiked more than 316%.
- League of Legends 2020 Worlds Anthem “Take Over” by Jeremy McKinnon of A Day To Remember, MAX and Henry has over 17.6 million streams to date.