Spider-Man: Far From Home Looks Like A PS2 Game In One Special Feature
Why do I enjoy this so much?
For home releases of big movies, the special features usually contain cool deleted scenes, short films, and featurettes. With Spider-Man: Far From Home arriving digitally, we got to watch a segment featuring pre-visual effects, which is the Potato Mode of movies.
The thought of watching a fight sequence without polished FX seems like a bad idea, but the five pre-vis special features on the digital release of Far From Home are exceptionally entertaining to watch because the graphics look like a PS2 game.
The feature offers a side-by-side comparison between the working product and the finished product, which you can see directly above. Just look how MJ awkwardly had her hand on Spider-Man's shoulder. Looks like romance to me, right?
Also included are a few other moments we found rather amusing, like when Ned was trapped on the Ferris wheel, waving his hands around in fear. There's also a "hero shot" of Spider-Man and one of Mysterio, and it all looks like a weird mod for Grand Theft Auto III, which probably exists somewhere on the internet.
In total, around eight minutes of pre-visual effects sequences are included in the special features for the movie, with the Molten Man sequence making up the bulk of it at just over four minutes. Typically, the public doesn't get to see these, so if you're into how these FX-heavy movies come together, you'll want to watch them all. Even if you're not, you'll probably just want to watch them because of how weird everything looks.
Spider-Man: Far From Home
$20 in 4K
The digital release contains tons of special features from deleted scenes, featurettes, and a gag reel, all of which are detailed below.
- New Original Short, Peter's To-Do-List: Peter has a few errands to run before he can leave on his class trip.
- Teachers’ Travel Tips: Mr. Harrington & Mr. Dell present a few tips on how to traverse the European continent.
- Stepping Up: Explore how Spider-Man was introduced in the MCU, the ways Tom Holland transformed the character of Peter Parker, and what the future holds for Spider-Man.
- Suit Up: The suit doesn't make the hero - but it does play a big role in who they are and who they can become. This piece examines all of Peter's different suits in the movie, and with behind the scenes footage, we see why some suits are better than others.
- Far, FAR, Far from Home: The film's illustrious locations serve story points and establish tone, but they're also amazing to travel to! Hear from the cast on their experiences filming on-location.
- It Takes Two: A special look at the chemistry between Jon Watts and Tom Holland.
- Fury & Hill: MCU stalwarts Cobie Smulders and Samuel L. Jackson are back as Agent Maria Hill & Nick Fury!
- The Ginter-Riva Effect: A look at the villain sub-plot and how William Ginter-Riva ties Spider-Man: Far From Home all the way back to the beginning of the MCU.
- Thank You, Mrs. Parker: A look at Marisa Tomei's reimagining of Aunt May, from Homecoming to Far From Home.
- The Brother’s Trust: A quick look into some of the amazing work Tom Holland and his brothers have done through their charity, The Brothers Trust.
- The Jump Off: Interviews with the cast & crew take us through all of the amazing stunts of Far From Home.
- Now You See Me: We examine the evolution of Mysterio and why Jake Gyllenhaal was the perfect fit for the role.
- Stealthy Easter Eggs: Allow E.D.I.T.H. to reveal some of the hidden Easter Eggs you may have missed!
- Select Scene Pre – Vis: A side by side comparison of the Pre-Vis with the film
- Gag Reel & Outakes
- Never-Before-Seen Alternate & Extended Scenes
Spider-Man: Far From Home is available digitally now and arrived on 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD on October 1.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com