In Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, From Software takes a step away from the stamina-focused action gameplay mechanics of Demon's Souls, the Dark Souls trilogy, and Bloodborne. So, if you believe your time with From Software's Soulsborne games has prepared you for Sekiro, think again.
There are plenty of similar themes to be sure. Even though Sekiro takes place in a more realistic setting in comparison to the likes of Lodran or Yharnam, Ashina is still a society on the edge of complete collapse and home to a host of nightmarish monsters and god-like figures. The playable protagonist, Wolf, is also a stoic, undying figure, whose ability to return from the dead is the only reason he's able to overcome the powerful enemies he encounters.
The similarities pretty much end there, though. Combat in Sekiro is focused on posture instead of stamina, for example, so now deflecting enemy strikes is the ideal path to success. New attacks are unlocked via experience as opposed to weapons found as well. There are plenty of other differences--you can even swim in Sekiro. From Software has crafted a completely different game, and it can all be a little overwhelming to get a grasp on it all. Especially since, without any co-op multiplayer, you'll have to take on most of the game alone.
If you're struggling in your journey across Ashina and need a little help, read through our collection of guides. We've got most of the early game covered, from the prosthetic upgrades you want to find first to the cure for Dragonrot. We'll update this hub of information with additional guides as we create them, so be sure to check back on GameSpot whenever you run into a seemingly insurmountable hurdle in Sekiro.
In our Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice review-in-progress, Tamoor Hussain gave the game a 9/10, complementing the game's "exhilarating combat," intricate environments that "reward exploration," and satisfying stealth mechanics "that encourage you to observe and strategize."
Sekiro Combat And Boss Guides
- How To Beat The Chained Ogre Miniboss
- How To Beat Juzou The Drunkard Boss
- How To Beat The Blazing Bull Boss
- How To Survive And Avoid The Giant Snake
- How To Beat Lady Butterfly Guide
- Watch A Video Walkthrough For Beating Lady Butterfly Boss
- How To Beat The Guardian Ape
- Watch A Walkthrough For Corrupted Monk Boss
Dealing With Death In Sekiro
- Essential Tips To Help You Stop Dying So Much
- How Death In Sekiro Impacts Your Journey
- Dragonrot Guide: Curing Rot Essence
Sekiro Item Locations
- Essential Early-Game Shinobi Prosthetics
- Where To Find The Shinobi Axe Prosthetic
- Where To Find The Firecrackers Prosthetic
- Where To Find The Flame Vent Prosthetic
- Where To Find Every Shinobi Prosthetics
- Where To Find Snapseeds
- Where To Find Every Gourd Seed