Sea Of Thieves Gets Huge Anniversary Update
There she blows!
It's been over a year since Rare released Sea of Thieves. To celebrate, the online, co-op pirate adventure is getting a substantial Anniversary Update that'll introduce a new mode, a new storyline, and more.
The update adds The Arena, a mode where you compete against other crews across six different maps. Competing will net you achievements and items such as commendations, titles, cosmetics, and more, all through the Sea Dogs faction. You can also purchase sets, like the Glorious Sea Dog, from the Sea Dog Tavern in between competitions.
Through the bard Merrick comes The Hunter's Call, a new company where you can earn commendations and rewards, tattoo and makeup cosmetics, items, liveries, and more for completing hunting, fishing, and cooking challenges. Sea of Thieves will also see a bevy of new wildlife, from unique fish to formidable beasts. Combine their raw meat with the plethora of new, rare fruit to concoct novel recipes.
The biggest part of the Anniversary Update is the new storyline. The Shores of Gold tasks you with investigating a fabled lost island. The storyline brings new gameplay additions, such as collector's chests and enchanted tools, and you'll unlock new commendations and rewards upon completion. But you'll have to battle new Skeleton Lords first.
The Anniversary Update weighs in at approximately 8 GB across all three platforms--PC, Xbox One, and Xbox One X--and addresses a variety of performance related issues as well. You can view the full patch notes below.
- Xbox One S Improvements – Performance on the Xbox One S has been improved.
- Improved Loading Times – Time taken to initially load into Sea of Thieves has been reduced.
- Game Stability – Resolved a number of client and server stability issues.
- 'Push to Talk' functionality now works correctly on Xbox One when set up in Audio Settings.
- Chest of Sorrows no longer fills up a ship when placed on a docked Rowboat that is then detached from the ship.
- When fighting the Kraken, moving into a safe space while it attempts to snatch you up from the ship will no longer cause you to be pulled through the environment.
- If the game is unable to delete your pirate from the front end settings screen, it will no longer cause an infinite loading screen.
- It is no longer possible to interact with items while holding a chest.
- After undocking from a ship-based interactive item, you will now be able to correctly tap the quest radial or item radial to return to the previously wielded item.
- Resolved an edge case where a Closed Crew could become an Open Crew when the crew owner leaves.
- Resolved an issue preventing Xbox One players using a mouse from turning their camera.
- When using the pirate chat radial, closing the second page of the radial without selecting a message will no longer automatically send a message.
- Players with unlocked Commendations for previous Mercenary Voyages will once again see their Commendations in the Reputation pages.
- The Title counts on the Bilge Rats Reputation page will now correctly count the Titles available to players.
- During the new player onboarding tutorial, handing your tutorial chest to another player and having them cash it in for you will no longer leave tutorial messages stuck on-screen.
Audio and Visual
- Waterfall SFX at Plunder Valley no longer cut out.
- Fauna now renders at the correct level of detail when players are in close proximity.
- Shanties now play as expected when played during a server migration.
- Angled palm trees found in the Shores of Plenty region now render correctly.
- The cannon next to the beacon on Devil’s Ridge can now be climbed into.
- The ship’s flag on the Ferry of the Damned is now correctly attached.
- There are no longer palm leaves stuck to the beach at Mermaid’s Hideaway.
- Players can no longer walk beneath the water on Crescent Isle.
- It no longer rains in the Pirate Legend Hideout at Plunder Outpost.
- It’s no longer possible to get stuck inside rocks at Thieves’ Haven.
- Players can no longer get stuck between the wharf and the tree at Plunder Outpost.
- It’s no longer possible to get stuck on rocks at Ancient Spire Outpost.
- The Arena Tavern Wait Times – During times of heavy server load, crews using Tavern matchmaking in The Arena may experience an extended delay when waiting to begin a contest. To get back into the action quickly, anyone experiencing this issue should leave the Tavern, return to the front end and matchmake into another Arena session.
- Health Bar UI Delays – When regenerating health from cooked food, taking damage may cause the health bar to be delayed in updating.
- Sea Dogs Tavern Purchase Delays – Players who purchase an item from the Sea Dogs Tavern shop shortly before migrating to a new server will not immediately see the purchase in their inventory. The purchase has been successful, but will only be shown when the player returns to the Tavern after their next contest.
- Sailor of Athena’s Fortune Commendation Progress – Players do not receive progress towards the Sailor of Athena’s Fortune Commendation while their crew have both an Athena’s Fortune Voyage and a Tall Tale active at the same time.
- Quest Item Loss in ‘The Shores of Gold’ – Losing the Gold Hoarders Coin during ‘The Shores of Gold’ Tall Tale will not automatically fail the Tall Tale, but your crew will be unable to progress.
- Missing Phrases on Food Items – Some food items show available phrases in the pirate chat radial, but selecting them will not correctly send them to other players.
- Incorrect Ship Flag Icons on Arena Map Table – Following consecutive contests in The Arena, the ship’s map table may show incorrect ship flag iconography for rival crews.
- Extended Black Screen on Loading – In this build we’ve resolved a number of cases where players could be held indefinitely on the black loading screen when returning from the Ferry of the Damned or a mermaid. However, some instances of this may still be present, which we will continue to investigate. If you encounter this issue, please raise a support ticket with as much detail as you can provide.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org