Come back for all the big news as it happens.
This year's big entertainment event--San Diego Comic-Con 2019--has concluded, after hosting a massive spate of news and announcements about everything from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to Star Trek to your favorite horror movies.
The big highlight of the third day was a full lineup of Phase 4 in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Aside from that, new trailers debuted including various Star Trek projects: Short Treks, Discovery Season 3, Lower Decks, and Picard. We also heard about two new Halloween movies and the surprise-release of Veronica Mars Season 4 (which wasn't expected for another week).
The Marvel Studios panel has brought an absolute flurry of major MCU news, both on the movie and Disney+ side. Kevin Feige started out by saying he'd be discussing Phase 4, which was followed by confirmation of The Eternals, which releases in November 2020. We got a number of other Phase 4 release dates, too, as Marvel unveiled plans for Shang-Chi, Loki, Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4, and numerous other shows and movies. The first one to arrive is the Black Widow movie on May 1, 2020. The most surprising, for sure, is Blade, starring Mahershala Ali, although that doesn't yet have a release date or any details. Feige noted that some other big movies weren't discussed (Captain Marvel 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and Black Panther 2 specifically), and he made passing reference to X-Men and Fantastic Four.
Marvel SDCC News
- Marvel Phase 4 Release Dates Confirmed
- Everything Announced At The Marvel Studios Panel
- Holy Crap Marvel Is Making A Blade Movie
- Fantastic Four And X-Men Teased For The MCU
- The Eternals Is Officially On The Way
- Shang Chi Confirmed For Phase 4
- Thor 4 Gets A Name, Date, And Details
- Natalie Portman Is Back In Thor 4
- Where Were Guardians 3, Black Panther 2, And Captain Marvel 2?
- The Real Mandarin Is In Shang-Chi, And He's Not Happy About Iron Man 3
- New Falcon And Winter Soldier Details
- WandaVision Revealed, Will Be Weird
- Loki's Endgame Moment Sets Up Disney+ Show
- Doctor Strange 2 Release Date Confirmed For Phase 4
- Marvel's What If Animated Series Gets A Date
- Hawkeye TV Show Details
- Thanos Could Have Decapitated Captain America In Avengers: Endgame
- Avengers Reunion Rumored, Endgame Directors To Host Panel
- SDCC Kicks Off Avengers: Endgame Tour Featuring The Russo Brothers
- Agents Of Shield Ending After Season 7
The Witcher panel brought with it the first clips, and now the first trailer has made its way online. On The Walking Dead side, we got a ton of news, including the fact that the Rick Grimes-starring movies are coming to theaters. And the Game of Thrones panel saw no punches pulled.
The Rick and Morty panel brought us the first Season 4 clip. That features a new character played by Thor Ragnarok director Taika Waititi and has been released online. A second clip, shown in animatic form, was also shown to the crowd; we have details on that and other tidbits from the panel in our story.
One of Thursday's big panels focused on many of the upcoming Marvel video games; the panel brought details on not just Marvel's Avengers (including more on how the game is structured and Kamala Khan's presence) but also more about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3's upcoming free and paid DLC characters. Other Marvel news included some revelations from the writers of Endgame, like how Thanos could have decapitated Captain America at one point.
The Terminator: Dark Fate panel was among the early ones on Thursday, and we've already learned that the movie is bringing back Terminator 2's John Connor, Edward Furlong, and that it will be rated R. Not long after that, Tom Cruise made a surprise appearance to debut a Top Gun Maverick trailer.
Saturday's Biggest Comic-Con Panels
- 10:30 AM PT -- Batwoman
- 11:30 AM PT -- Star Trek
- 1:15 PM PT -- Westworld
- 3:30 PM PT -- Arrow
- 4:15 PM PT -- Supergirl
- 5:15 PM PT -- Marvel Studios
- 5:45 PM PT -- The Flash
- 7 PM PT -- DC Universe
Another piece of big news to emerge is that the Game of Thrones Comic-Con panel won't feature the showrunners. David Benioff and DB Weiss had been announced to be among the panel's participants, but the two (along with a few actors and a director) have dropped out. That still leaves a variety of cast members to show up, but Benioff and Weiss's original inclusion had been a surprise, given the negative reaction that the show's finale season received.
Marvel makes its triumphant return to the show in 2019, and the studio will more than likely reveal what's happening with Phase 4 of the MCU. (Already, we've learned through a report that Taika Waititi will direct Thor 4.) On the TV side, Agents of SHIELD is ending after Season 7. The news emerged not long before the show's panel at SDCC.
But even without certainty on the Marvel Cinematic Universe front, there's a ton to look forward to across TV, movies, and games, including more on Westworld, The Witcher, and Marvel's Avengers game. Rick and Morty will also have a panel ahead of its much-anticipated Season 4 debuting later this year, and the first images from Season 4 were released this week in anticipation of SDCC.
Aside from the convention itself, San Diego's Gaslamp district transforms for the event, so while the hall and panel rooms hold most of the attractions, the entire downtown area is dressed to the nines. This includes stores in the area decorated like your favorite movies and TV series and plenty of activations around the area promoting upcoming projects.
- Star Trek Picard Brings Back Next Generation Characters, Including Data And The Borg
- First Star Trek Picard Trailer Revealed
- New Star Trek Picard Photos Take Jean-Luc Out Of The Vineyard
- Rick & Morty Writer's Star Trek Animated Show, Lower Decks, Detailed
- Everything We Know About Picard
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Details Confirm Time Jump, New Character
- New Short Treks Will Have Spock And Pike, Two Animated Episodes
- Star Trek Panel Details Include Picard, Discovery, And Lower Depths
The Walking Dead
- The Walking Dead Movies With Rick Grimes Coming To Theaters
- The Walking Dead Losing Another Major Character
- Fear The Walking Dead Renewed For Season 6
- Walking Dead Season 10 Comic-Con Trailer: The Whisperer War Is Coming
It Chapter 2
- It Chapter 2 Exclusive Footage Premieres At Comic-Con 2019, Here's What We Saw
- It Chapter 2 New Trailer Shows Pennywise Terrorizing The Losers
- In-Depth Breakdown Of It 2's Comic-Con Trailer
- Why Jessica Chastain Had To Sit In A Kiddie Pool Of Fake Blood For It Chapter 2
- The Witcher Trailer Has Arrived
- The Witcher's First Footage Debut At Comic-Con
- The Witcher Showrunner Says Any Sex And Violence Will Be To Drive The Story
- Netflix's Witcher Showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich Says They Won't Adapt The Games
- The Witcher: Netflix's New TV Show Is Coming To Comic-Con
Rick And Morty
- Taika Waititi's Rick And Morty Character Revealed In First Season 4 Clip
- Rick & Morty Season 4: First Images Revealed Ahead Of SDCC Panel
- Rick & Morty Creators Promise Future Waits Between Seasons Will Be Shorter
- Game Of Thrones Actors Answer The Series' Lingering Questions During Comic-Con Panel
- Batwoman To Tell Hush Origin Story, Burt Ward Joins Crossover
- New Watchmen TV Series Trailer Revealed
- Shudder's Creepshow Reboot Gets Ghoulishly Fun First Trailer
- Dark Crystal Age of Resistance Brings New Trailer And Plot Details To SDCC
- Archer Gets Season 11 Renewal And A Major Plot Twist
- Mayans MC Season 2 Trailer Premieres
- Batman Beyond Being Remastered
- Star Trek TNG Legend Patrick Stewart To Appear At Comic-Con's Picard Panel
- Shudder To Preview Creepshow Reboot Show
- DC Universe Shares New Posters For Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, More
- HBO's His Dark Materials Cast Discuss Daemons, Religion At Comic-Con Panel
- SDCC 2019: HBO's His Dark Materials Season 1 Trailer Premieres
- Justice League "Release The Snyder Cut" Banners Flown Over San Diego Comic-Con
- Two New Halloween Sequels Announced And Dated By John Carpenter
- Terminator: Dark Fate Brings Back T2's John Connor, Edward Furlong
- James Cameron Calls Into Terminator: Dark Fate Panel From Avatar 2 Set
- Tom Cruise Makes Surprise Appearance To Reveal Top Gun Maverick Trailer
Toys & Collectibles
- GameStop Announces SDCC 2019-Exclusive Collectibles, Funko Pops Available To Order Online Now
- A Closer Look At Mario Kart And Street Fighter Hot Wheels
- 17 Statues More Expensive Than One Month's Rent
- New Retro Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Toys Are Totally Radical
- New Power Rangers Figures Celebrate The Show's History
- Marvel's Avengers Comic-Con Panel Shows Tons Of New Gameplay, Story Details
- Sonic Appears In Surprising Crossover With Cartoon Network's OK KO
- More On How Avengers' Campaign And Co-Op Work
- New Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Characters Revealed
- Death Stranding Director Hideo Kojima Coming To San Diego Comic-Con
- Marvel's Avengers: Comic-Con Panel Will Showcase "Exciting New Content"
About The Show
- San Diego Comic-Con 2019: Exclusive Funko Pops And How To Buy Them
- SDCC Exclusive Overwatch Reinhardt Figure And New Soldier 76 Nerf Blaster Revealed
- San Diego Comic-Con 2019: Awesome Exclusive Toys And How To Get Them
- Comic-Con's Exclusive Spider-Man Lego Minifig, Based On The PS4 Game, Could Be Yours
- All The Mondo Exclusives Available At SDCC
Disclosure: ViacomCBS is GameSpot's parent company