SDCC 2018: Vikings Season 5B Trailer Shows A Bloody War Between Ivar And Lagertha
"I am Ivar the Boneless. All hail your new king!"
After being driven from Kattegat in the Vikings midseason finale, Bjorn (Alexander Ludwig), Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), and Ubbe (Jordan Patrick Smith) are ready to fight back against Ivar the Boneless (Alex Andersen). As they do every year, the cast and creator of Vikings marched into San Diego Comic-Con armed with a special treat for fans attending their panel: A trailer.
In the two-and-a-half minute clip, which you can see above, Kattegat is a very different place than it was when fans last saw it. Under Ivar's rule, nobody looks particularly happy. But with a leader as ruthless as Ivar, can you blame them?
Least happy of all is the one brother that didn't turn his back in Ivar, Hvitserk (Marco Ilso). In the trailer, he makes it clear he doesn't trust his brother and, by the end of the clip, has switched allegiances to fight at Bjorn's side. What this means for the impending war remains to be seen, especially with the return of Rollo (Clive Standen), who admits he missed the small town that's now become a thriving kingdom.
"I think it's fair to say every time [creator] Michael [Hirst] writes for Rollo, he's not going to do whatever you think he's going to do," Standen said during the panel, when asked about Rollo's motives in returning. "He's now a ruler of his own country in Normandy and he has his own people to think of and to put first." However, Standen played coy when it comes to saying whether he's truly sided with Rollo.
Don't go expecting the return of the berserker, though. According to Standen, this Rollo isn't the same man from earlier seasons. "He's older now. Your body doesn't quite work as you want it to work," he teased. "He's at that age where you start thinking about death and your own mortality and where you go afterward." However, the actor does say there's some unfinished family business for him to tackle.
One thing is clear, when it comes to most of the cast: Their allegiances set them at odds with Ivar, even if there is a lot of family drama between everyone. The strange relationship between Torvi (Georgia Hirst), Bjorn, and Ubbe is especially problematic. After Bjorn left Torvi in Season 5, she found love with his brother Ubbe. As Hirst tells it, though, this is how it was meant to be. "I never think he was satisfied, so I think Torvi felt a sense that she was never enough," she explained. "I think he just came at the right time and I think they have found genuine love."
Additionally, as you can see in the trailer, Lagertha's grey hair isn't going anywhere. Recounting the midseason finale, Winnick said, "The very last shot of Lagertha, she is completely in shellshock--so much that her hair actually turned grey." That look is sticking around and she continues her quest to kill Ivar--something the new king of Kattegat isn't pleased about.
While he took control of Kattegat, in some ways he considers his victory a failure. "He's in a bad place and he didn't even get to kill Lagertha," Andersen said. "He's mad." Of course, that's not necessarily the kind of person the people of Kattegat will want in charge. "Let's make a guy who can't control himself control an entire city," the actor joked.
There's still a while before Vikings returns, sadly. Thankfully, a midseason premiere date was also announced at Comic-Con. You'll get the remainder of Season 5 starting on November 28 at 9 PM ET on History. Thankfully, this won't be the end of the road for the series as Season 6 has been in production for some time.
San Diego Comic-Con 2018 Coverage
- Comic-Con 2018 Schedule: Guide To The Must-See TV And Movie Panels
- Comic-Con 2018 Saturday Schedule
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 1
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 2
- Best Marvel Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018
- DC Universe Titans Trailer: F*** Batman
- Everything We Learned About DC Universe
- All The Exclusive Funko Pop Figures You Can Buy At SDCC
- Doctor Who's New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed Alongside New Trailer
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series Is Back In New Trailer
- Cool-Looking Spider-Man PS4 Pro Bundle Announced
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer Reveals Some Big Fights
- DC Collectibles Reveals Toys From Batman, Justice League, And More
- This Huge Lego Thanos Demands You Bow Before Him
- Netflix's Iron Fist 2 Gets Release Date, Teases Daughters Of The Dragon
- DC Holds Weird, Cult-Like Event To Promote Heroes In Crisis
- James Gunn Fired From Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- What's Up With The "F*** Batman" Line In The New Titans Trailer?
- Andrew Lincoln Confirms The Walking Dead Season 9 Will Be His Last
- Netflix's Disenchantment: Everything We Learned About Matt Groening's New Show
- Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Footage Debuts
- Venom Debuts New Footage, Teases Spider-Man Crossover
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista Is "Not OK" With James Gunn Firing
- Fantastic Beasts 2 Footage Introduces Nicolas Flamel At Comic-Con 2018
- The Lego Movie 2 Comic-Con Footage Shows The Two Sides Of Chris Pratt
- Shazam Trailer Makes Exclusive Debut
- Aquaman Trailer Finally Arrives, Exclusive Footage Shows Classic Costume
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org