Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City dev calls reception 'challenging'
Slant Six Games says it would have enjoyed receiving higher marks for third-person shooter, but noted it accomplished what Capcom asked for.
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City shipped last week to low review scores across the board, and now its developer has responded. Studio producer Mike Kerr told Eurogamer recently that the critical response to the company's third-person shooter has been difficult.
"It's challenging. A lot of people put a lot of time and effort into the game and obviously we'd like to see the review scores be a little better than they are right now," he said. "In the end, I think our position on it is that we read every review and we try to pull out all the constructive feedback that we can so we can learn a little about what people liked and what they didn't."
In regards to expectations set by Capcom for Operation Raccoon City, Kerr said the Canadian developer was successful in creating the first third-person squad-based shooter in the history of the Resident Evil franchise.
"Then we look to what our internal goals were and what Capcom asked us to do and I think we accomplished what they wanted to do--we took the Resident Evil franchise in a different direction."
GameSpot has reached out to Slant Six for comment, but as of press time, the company had not responded.
The PC version of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is due out on May 18, and Slant Six just last week revealed a new mystery project, Strata Scavenger. For more on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, check out GameSpot's review.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.