Resident Evil 4 - Mendez Boss Guide
Put an end to Mendez's madness in Resident Evil 4.
Resident Evil 4 has numerous bosses for you to battle and eliminate. One of these is Bitores Mendez, a priest who has been corrupted by vileness. Early in the campaign, he overpowers Leon, even chasing him and Ashley at one point. Eventually, though, you'll have to eliminate him. Here's our Resident Evil 4 Mendez boss guide to help you defeat this opponent.
Resident Evil 4 Mendez guide
The Resident Evil 4 Mendez boss fight occurs after you go through to outpost, eventually reaching the slaughterhouse. The Merchant is right in front, so you should stock up and prepare, ideally buying the Riot Gun for its added punch. When you head inside the building, a cutscene will play, and Mendez will show his mutated form. The building will be on fire, though there are lots of items that you can grab, too.
The first phase
The Resident Evil 4 Mendez boss fight has two phases. The first part is mostly about staying on the walkways up top, dodging his attacks, and blasting the eye on his back. Here's what you need to watch out for:
- Stinger Strike - Sometimes done twice in quick succession; can be parried using knives.
- Tail Swipe - Can be evaded by pressing Circle/B.
- Whirlwind - This takes several seconds, and you'll get hit if you're still on the walkway.
Perhaps the other danger here is using a gamepad and enabling aim assist (i.e., Snap or Snap and Follow). Mendez's weakpoint is the eye on his back. As such, aim assist will cause your crosshair to move nearer to his head instead of the eye, requiring you to suddenly jerk your thumbstick for a clean hit. Handguns will require a precision hit, though a shotgun can mitigate this due to the spread of the projectile. Once Mendez has been stunned--and assuming you're on the walkway--you can press the button prompt, causing Leon to do a leaping stab with his knife.
The second phase
The Resident Evil 4 Mendez boss fight enters its second stage, which is more about avoidance than anything else. Here's the gist:
- If Mendez is crawling along the back wall, you'll want to watch out for thrown objects:
- Flaming Spears - You'll have to run sideways to avoid these two sets.
- Exploding Barrels - As soon as you see these red barrels, shoot them to damage Mendez in turn. You will not be able to avoid the explosion AoE if he manages to toss them your way.
- If Mendez moves closer, you'll need to be aware of the following:
- Lunge Attacks - These can be parried or dodged depending on the prompts.
- Quick Strikes - These are quick stabs with his stingers, alternating with the left and right protrusions.
Waiting for him to get up close and blasting him with your shotgun is the most viable means of damaging him. Once you clear the Resident Evil 4 Mendez encounter, you can pick up Mendez's False Eye, which can be sold for 12,000 pesetas. This concludes the Village chapter of the campaign, and you'll be on your way to the Castle.
Resident Evil 4 has more mechanics and secrets for you to discover. You can learn more in our guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.