Red Dead Redemption 2 Won't Use GTA 5's Character Switching Mechanic
You'll only be playing as Arthur Morgan in the upcoming western game.
Red Dead Redemption 2 marks Rockstar's first new release since 2013's Grand Theft Auto V. The latter has proven to be an immense critical and commercial success for the studio, thanks to its perennially updated GTA Online mode and engrossing campaign, which follows three different characters that players switch between. But while having three protagonists worked well in GTA V, the feature won't return in Red Dead Redemption 2.
The Hollywood Reporter recently spoke with Josh Bass and Aaron Garbut, the art directors at Rockstar San Diego and Rockstar North, respectively. Among other things, the developers confirmed that, in contrast to GTA V's trio of protagonists, Arthur Morgan will be the only playable character in Red Dead Redemption 2 (Red Dead Online aside).
"Sticking with a single character felt more appropriate for the structure and narrative of a western," Bass explained. "Arthur lives with and fights alongside the other members of the Van der Linde gang, and they are a group of fully realized characters with relationships to each other and to Arthur, but this is Arthur's story and we are placing players firmly in Arthur's boots as he and the gang deal with a rapidly changing world. We think people will really love the feeling of being in the gang. It isn't like anything we've done before."
Despite the number in its title, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a prequel to the original Red Dead Redemption. The game is set 12 years before the previous title and follows Morgan, one of the members of the aforementioned Van der Linde gang, as the outlaws flee across America. The gang plays a pivotal role in the game; you'll be able to interact and build relationships with other members in various ways, from conversing with them to taking them out with you on hunts and robberies.
Red Dead Redemption 2 launches for PS4 and Xbox One on October 26. A PC version hasn't been announced, although based on a Rockstar developer's LinkedIn profile, the game may be coming to the platform. You can read more about the title in our roundup of everything we know so far about Red Dead Redemption 2.
Red Dead Redemption 2 News And Details
- Red Dead Redemption 2: We Played It On PS4, Here's Everything We Saw
- Watch: We Played Red Dead Redemption 2
- Red Dead Redemption 2: All The New Features
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Most Surprising Features And Details
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Everything We Just Learned
- Like GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Playable In First-Person
- Here Are Red Dead Redemption 2's HUD Options
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Arthur Can Swim, Unlike John Marston
- Here's 27 New Red Dead Redemption 2 Screens
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Will Feature Woody Jackson's Music Again
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Has A Selfie Camera
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Lets You Drift On A Horse
- Red Dead Redemption 2's New Animal-Skinning Animation Is Truly A Sight To Behold
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode Gets A Beta A Month After Release Day
- Why Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode Is Launching After The Main Game
- Rockstar Will Stagger GTA 5 Online And Red Dead Online Update Releases
- Red Dead Online Learns Its Lessons From GTA Online
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org