Red Dead Redemption 2: Red Dead Online, GTA 5 Online Update Releases Will Be Staggered
The studio says it still has "big plans" for Grand Theft Auto V's online mode.
Like Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar's next big open-world adventure, Red Dead Redemption 2, will feature a sprawling online component titled Red Dead Online. The mode will launch as a public beta this fall, and judging by the level of support GTA Online has enjoyed, it will likely receive a regular stream of updates for a long time to come. With a second open-world multiplayer game to support now, fans may wonder if GTA Online's updates will slow down, but Rockstar assures this won't be the case.
In an interview with IGN, Rockstar North director of design Imran Sarwar said the developer still intends to support GTA V's online mode after Red Dead Online arrives. "We still have big plans for Grand Theft Auto Online and we will continue to roll out updates for the foreseeable future," Sarwar said.
To avoid competition between its two big online games, Sarwar says Rockstar hopes to "stagger" updates for each one out so that players will be able to keep up with both, but there may be some overlap. "We vaguely plan to stagger the updates of both games so that players can switch between the two, but our development plans may not always allow this!" Sarwar said.
Rockstar still hasn't revealed many details about Red Dead Online. According to the studio, the mode is "an evolution of the classic multiplayer experience in the original Red Dead Redemption, blending narrative with competitive and cooperative gameplay in fun new ways." The public beta will go live sometime this November; those who own Red Dead Redemption 2 will be able to jump in for free, although the studio warns "there will inevitably be some turbulence at launch" given the scale of the endeavor.
Red Dead Redemption 2 launches for PS4 and Xbox One next month, on October 26. Rockstar recently shared some new screenshots of the game, as well as some new details about its sprawling world. You can read more about the title in our roundup of everything we know about Red Dead Redemption 2 so far.
Red Dead Redemption 2 News And Details
- Red Dead Redemption 2: We Played It On PS4, Here's Everything We Saw
- Watch: We Played Red Dead Redemption 2
- Red Dead Redemption 2: All The New Features
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Most Surprising Features And Details
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Everything We Just Learned
- Like GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Playable In First-Person
- Here Are Red Dead Redemption 2's HUD Options
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Arthur Can Swim, Unlike John Marston
- Here's 27 New Red Dead Redemption 2 Screens
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Will Feature Woody Jackson's Music Again
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Has A Selfie Camera
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Lets You Drift On A Horse
- Red Dead Redemption 2's New Animal-Skinning Animation Is Truly A Sight To Behold
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode Gets A Beta A Month After Release Day
- Why Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode Is Launching After The Main Game
- Rockstar Will Stagger GTA 5 Online And Red Dead Online Update Releases
- Red Dead Online Learns Its Lessons From GTA Online
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the conversation