Red Dead 2 PC Update Addresses Crashing Issues [Game Patch Also Out Now]
Here's what the latest updates for Rockstar's client and Red Dead 2 on PC do.
Red Dead Redemption 2's release on PC did not go exactly to plan, with players reporting severe crashing problems that in some cases caused the launcher to fail to open. Update: Following Tuesday's Rockstar client update, the studio has already released a new patch for the game itself. In the patch notes, Rockstar says the update deals with problems related to anti-virus software; this will hopefully help to further address the ongoing issues that players have encountered. Separately, Rockstar acknowledged those problems on Twitter, although it hasn't offered any new details regarding ongoing fixes.
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Patch Notes [November 6]
- Improvements to address issues that resulted in Red Dead Redemption 2 crashing due to Anti-Virus software.
We’re aware of ongoing issues preventing some people from playing RDR2 on PC and are actively working to resolve them.— Rockstar Support (@RockstarSupport) November 6, 2019
Original Story: Rockstar Games has now released an update that apparently fixes a handful of issues related to crashes and other problems. The November 5 update fixes problems related to the Rockstar Games Launcher and Red Dead Redemption 2 itself. There were crashing problems with Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Epic Games Store, too, and these have also been addressed.
You can see a rundown of the November 5 patch notes for Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version below, as posted on the Rockstar Games support site.
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Patch Notes [November 5]
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher failed to initialize" on startup
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher preload decryption getting stuck and not completing
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2
- Fixed an issue that resulted in crashes when starting the Rockstar Games Launcher from the Epic Games Launcher
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "Unable to launch game, please verify your game data" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2 from the Epic Games Launcher
Crashing problems aren't the only issues affecting Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version at launch. People on Reddit have reported problems related to audio and FPS drops.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is available for PC now on Rockstar's own launcher, as well as the Epic Games Store and other outlets. It won't release on Steam until December, however.
Red Dead Redemption 2 News
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com