Razer Offering $25,000 Reward for Information About CES Prototype Theft
Two of Razer's triple-monitor laptops were stolen from the Las Vegas show.
Writing on Facebook, Tan started off by clarifying that the two stolen prototypes were both Project Valerie laptops, not the Project Ariana smart projector device. Previously, it was unclear as to which prototypes specifically were taken. Tan also shared a timeline, saying the laptops were nabbed at around 4 PM PT on Sunday, January 8 from Razer's booth on the show floor.
Razer is offering up a $25,000 reward for people who submit new information that leads to the identification, arrest, and conviction those responsible for the theft. $25,000 is the maximum reward value; it could be lower, dependent on the value of the information.
If you have information on the theft, you can submit it to: email@example.com.
After the theft, Razer said it was working with CES show management and law enforcement to discuss next steps. Tan said that Razer takes theft "very seriously," going on to say that the company has not ruled out "industrial espionage."
"Penalties for such crimes are grievous and anyone who would do this clearly isn't very smart," Tan said.
For lots more on Project Valerie, check out GameSpot's preview from CES above. You can get a closer look at Project Ariana through the video below. Bear in mind that Project Valerie and Project Ariana are only concepts, so they don't have price points or release dates; they may never be released.
In 2011, thieves broke into Razer's office and stole prototypes for laptops that would become the company's Razer Blade, according to GameSpot sister site CNET.