Rainbow Six Siege Operation Void Edge Patch Notes Now Available With Year 5 Launch
Ubisoft has shared the full patch notes for Void Edge, the next Rainbow Six Siege update. Meet Iana and Oryx.
Ubisoft is launching Rainbow Six Siege Year 5 Season 1, with the new major update, Operation Void Edge. In preparation for the update, the company has shared the full patch notes. Those include details on the two new operators, map changes, and balance and bug fixes.
The two new operators are Nienke "Iana" Meijer and Saif "Oryx" Al Hadid as Attacker and Defender types, respectively. Iana sports a remote-controlled holographic copy of herself, letting her scout ahead without being in immediate danger. The holograph will produce sound just like the real thing, but it can't use weapons or gadgets. Oryx can use a Remah Dash, letting him close distances and knock down opponents. He can also dash through walls, at the expense of some health. Existing operators Lesion and Twitch will be getting some balance changes.
Oregon is getting a map rework, sporting an updated look with more open areas, and new access points. The Big Tower will connect directly to the Kitchen, and a new Freezer area will be added, among other changes. On the whole the changes aim to make the rotations safer for both attackers and defenders. The game is also getting a large change in the previously announced shrapnel system, which overhauls how barricade debris will work, and attacker drone spawns will no longer be random.
The Void Edge season will get a new Elite set, letting Ash dress like Lara Croft with the Tomb Raider uniform. The set will also include new headgear, victory animation, and gadget skin.
Siege has enjoyed a long lifespan with sustained support, even still breaking its own player records. Ubisoft has considered taking the game free-to-play, but wants to solve one major problem first. You can check the Void Edge patch notes below.
Rainbow Six Siege "Void Edge" Patch Notes
As part of our continuous efforts against in-game toxicity, we are introducing the ability to select more private chat channels for live games.
Chat will be set to ‘Team Only’ by default with this update, but players can select to see All or No Chat via their in-game settings (this option has no impact on the Custom Games).
Our data consistently shows that a very high percentage of Abusive Chat reports are from cross-chat. Currently, in Ranked, Unranked and Casual, close to 85% of reports for Abusive Chat are made against a player from the opposing team. Our aim is to make games a more welcoming experience, and return the focus of the in-game chat to strategic team-based communications.
Abandon Penalty Escalation for Ranked/Unranked
As we’ve seen improvements in connection and server stability, we’ll be re-activating the escalating abandon penalty for ranked and unranked.
To improve the Rainbow Six Siege onboarding experience, we’re re-assigning Recruit on a mission to lead and guide our new players. In Y5S1, recruit will have pre-set loadouts for ATT and DEF instead of CTU based loadouts. This will help ease the learning process and make recruit an ideal pick for new players familiarizing themselves with Siege.
Removed M45 secondary weapon and replaced with Super Shorty
- Holographic scope added to Frost’s C1
- Falling onto Goyo’s Volcan only causes it collapse, instead of explode and propagate fire.
- When objectives such as Bombs or Biohazard containers are still hidden during the action phase, if IQ detects them with her gadget she will reveal their location to her entire team.
- Gu mines visible to Lesion only when in direct LOS and within an 8 meter distance.
- Removal of initial Gu mine damage tick.
- Gu mine damage increased to 6 damage per tick (instead of 4).
- DBNO players now immune to GU Mines. Being DBNO will still trigger them but the GU mines effect will not apply.
- Twitch Drone: Twitch’s drone will now use a charge system similar to Yokai drones instead of a set ammo count. Drones will start with the maximum ammo count of 3 shots and it will take 30 seconds to recharge a new shot.
- Drone will start a round with 3 shots (instead of 5)
- It takes 30s to fully recharge a shot, with a maximum carrying capacity of 3 shots per drone.
- Drone shot cooldown reduced to 1s (from 2s)
- Drone taser damage reduced to 1 hp (down from 10). Evil Eyes and Jager’s ADS gadget health also reduced to 1 hp.
- Increased recoil for Twitch’s F2
Warden’s Smart Glasses will now run on a charge system and can be activated long as there is more than 20% left of his charge left. Activation lasts 10 seconds and needs 10 seconds for a full recharge.
- Cooldown removed on Warden’s use of his gadget.
- Warden can now control usage time and deactivate it manually, with a maximum activation time of 10 seconds.
- His ability recharges at the same speed than it depletes. When fully depleted, it takes 10 seconds for it to be completely recharged
- Increased destruction for DMRs for faster destruction of barricades, hatches, and soft surfaces.
- Vector damage increased to 23 (from 21)
- Dokkaebi: Stun Grenades replacing Frag. Grenades
- Maverick: Frag Grenades replacing Stun Grenades
- Nokk: Frag Grenades replacing Claymore
- Ying: Frag Grenades replacing Claymore
- Compensator removed from DMRs
TWEAKS AND IMPROVEMENTS
Explosions + Shrapnel Damage
We have reworked explosions and made changes some important changes to how explosion and the new shrapnel damage will work in Siege. This will make it clearer to players when they are damaged due to shrapnel damage from explosives. Damage taken by a player from an explosion is now determined by Shrapnel damage. The new Shrapnel damage will govern who is hit, and how much damage is taken given the player’s environment. It will apply reduced damage based on the number of objects it passes through from the origin of the explosion. Shrapnel damage should be more transparent in providing feedback to players on how they took damage or died. For a more detailed look at how explosions in Siege work, check out our Dev Blog.
We’ve improved how explosives interact in corners where there is both a hard and soft wall.
Indestructible Object Interference:
We’ve improved how explosives interact in situations where an indestructible object like a beam can block destruction damage on nearby soft walls.
Stay in Drone After Prep Phase Option
Attackers will now have the option to stay in drone observation tools even when Prep Phase ends by selecting the “Drone after Prep” option in the Options Menu.
Drone random Spawn
Attacker drone spawn is now no longer random. Attacker drones will now always spawn on the same side of the building as your first selected spawn point. This change will give attackers more agency and coordination during prep phase, as well as help simplify orientation for new. You can still re-select your spawn point afterwards based on intel you gathered during the prep phase.
Caster HUD Updates
- Caster HUD Revamp: The new Caster HUD gives the casters the ability to expand all 10 players for a global overview of the game at any given moment, without the need to see the scoreboard or a specific player point of view.
- Player Cards: Cards can be toggled, allowing casters more flexibility for a specific situation, where they can choose between what we called condensed or expanded views. Condensed cards display the same amount of information as before, with added feedback for drones. You can follow a player point of view without missing any actions on the screen. Furthermore, expanded cards will allow all players’ statistics and operators’ loadouts to be displayed simultaneously.
- Round Header: By moving player information, we could get more space to keep improving the narration of the game. The header will now display team names and clear defusing states when it happens.
Game Mode Name Change
The Terrorist Hunt playlist will be renamed to Training Grounds to better reflect what our community uses the playlist for. Terrorist Hunt Classic will be renamed to Elimination to more accurately depict the game mode players can expect when entering those games.
Player Report Notifications
Players will receive notifications when a player they have reported has had an action taken against them.
To consolidate and reduce the overall game size, we have made some more improvements with restructuring how game data is stored. This means the season patch will be larger than normal.
With the start of Y5S1, we're reworking how custom load-outs are saved in your player profile. If you log in at least once during Y5S1, we will be able to save and convert your custom loadout to the new load-out format. Players who don't log in at least once during Season 1 will find a default loadout upon logging in come Y5S2.
Night Maps Removal from Custom
To better focus our team’s resources on creating a newer and better Rainbow Six Siege experience, we’ll be removing support for Night Maps from Custom game modes.
Operator Bio Updates
We’ve updated more Operator bios! Go check out their new bios in-game!
- Y1S1: Buck, Frost
- Y1S2: Blackbeard, Valkyrie
- Y1S3: Capitão, Caveira
- Y1S4: Echo, Hibana
- Y2S1: Jackal, Mira
- Y2S2: Lesion. Ying
- Y2S3: Ela, Zofia
- Y2S4: Dokkaebi, Vigil
- Y3S1: Finka, Lion
- Removed Frag Grenades, replaced with Claymore
After the last buff to her Scorpion EVo3, we saw players primarily picking only the Scorpion and an overly large increase in her win-delta and pick-rate. We also observed Ela’s K/D and K/R ratios jump much higher than what we would like to see from a healthy balance change. While we still want to keep her Scorpion fun to play, our primary focus is to keep her balanced.
These changes are aimed at scaling back some of the changes made in Y4S4.3 and tweaking her EVo3 to be at a more appropriate power level closer to what we had in mind
- Reduced recoil now only applies to the first 11 bullets
- Increased resettle time after burst firing
- Faster uptime to increase vertical recoil
- Slightly increased recoil + spread
- FIXED – Clash Exploit.
- FIXED – Various Iana/Oryx/Oregon Rework fixes to prepare for their release (see Test Server Patch Notes for details).
- FIXED – Melee SFX muffled while prone.
- FIXED – Missing SFX when picking up a claymore while crouched.
- FIXED – Some missing SFX when in observation mode.
- FIXED – SFX of throwable gadgets can be muffled or missing if another SFX is played before.
- FIXED – Various minor SFX issues when deploying gadgets.
- FIXED – Missing drone sounds for other players in the match.
- FIXED – Slug shotguns will destroy only the first layer of a destructible wooden wall.
- FIXED – Missing debris on the floor when the player damages a barricade with a shotgun.
- FIXED – Some weapons have inconsistent damage values between PvE and PvP.
- FIXED – Rappel prompt is sometimes available from a long distance from the ledge.
- FIXED – Gadgets sometimes not sticking when deployed on roof hatches during the prep phase.
- FIXED – Operators unable to climb ladders when a deployable shield is placed at the top of the ladder.
- FIXED – Planting the defuser on a breached wall can end the match and incur a loss.
- FIXED – Inconsistencies with shrapnel from Operator gadget explosions.
- FIXED - Barricades disappear when vaulting through them after they are only partially destroyed.
- FIXED – Operator collision issues with indestructible walls.
- FIXED – Various Iana bug fixes.
- FIXED – Various Oryx bug fixes.
- FIXED – Various gun, Operator model clipping issues while performing various actions.
- FIXED – Various issues with sight alignment and obstruction while/during ADS for some operators/guns.
- FIXED – Various Operator model minor VFX issues when performing some actions or sequences of actions.
- FIXED – Amaru can sometimes kill a defender after reeling in under certain circumstances.
- FIXED – Ash's and Zofia's projectiles can damage operators without destroying the barricade if they are shot at the window's frame.
- FIXED – Ash’s breaching round sometimes will not breach destructible walls if fired from an angle and close to a metal border.
- FIXED – Blitz exposes himself (from the safety of his shield people) from 3rd person POV when using his shield.
- FIXED – Caveira’s Luison damage text is incorrectly stated as 55 in the loadout menu (65 is the correct damage value).
- FIXED – Dokkaebi’s Logic Bomb VFX not appearing for a Defender kicked from cams.
- FIXED – Echo’s Yokai appears OOB while in support mode if thrown and the spectating player joins back into the game.
- FIXED – Echo’s Yokai can do a full rotation when spectating after being attached to a surface.
- FIXED – Echo's Yokai not visible and showing incorrect lights during replays.
- FIXED - Fuze and Monty deploying their drones in advanced mode even if the option is set to standard.
- FIXED – Glaz’s flip-sight has different FOV levels when standing vs proning and using the same sight.
- FIXED – Glaz's fire rate is lower on PvE compared to PvP.
- FIXED – AOE of Goyo Volcan flames is not propagating through a pre-barricaded door or large holes in walls.
- FIXED – Goyo is not receiving any points for Volan detonating after he is dead.
- FIXED – Goyo’s Volcan fire AOE sometimes displaced when his Volcan is destroyed by an explosive.
- FIXED – Goyo’s Volcan shield can trigger and detonate if a Mira Black Mirror is deployed next to it.
- FIXED – Using Jackal's Eyenox, older footprints are not visible for some players who reconnected.
- FIXED – Jackal can sometimes still scan if he is at the edge of Mute’s Jammer AOE.
- FIXED – Kali’s Lv-El can remain in the air after the barricade/wall is destroyed.
- FIXED – Lesion's Gu Mines not deploying properly when thrown directly on holes in grating in Club House garage.
- FIXED – Gu Mine HUD FX can get desynced with actual damage after canceling the removal of a Gu mine.
- FIXED – Maverick can destroy hatches instantly using a specific set of actions.
- FIXED – Nomad’s Airjab doesn’t detonate if placed at a 90-degree angle at the EXT Vehicle Customs window on Border.
- FIXED – Nomad’s Airjab ejects 2 shells after use.
- FIXED – The magazines of the ARX200 clips through the weapon's mag-well when reloading in first person POV.
- FIXED – Valkyrie can deploy her gadget inside knife block map assets.
- FIXED – Vigil receives a “Drone Deceived” bonus when forced out of his gadget by a Nomad Airjab.
- FIXED – Wamai can’t pick up his Mag-Net if thrown between some map assets.
- FIXED – Ying’s Candelas missing collision effect with other player models.
- FIXED – Ying’s Candela can’t be destroyed when captured by Wamai’s Mag-Net.
- FIXED – Studs on reinforced walls are not visibly destroyed after being broken by Zofia's or Maverick’s gadgets.
- FIXED – Various Oregon rework map tweaks and fixes.
- FIXED – Various dynamic clipping/clipping issues on maps.
- FIXED – Various LOS/pixel peek issues on maps.
- FIXED – Various spawnkill exploits.
- FIXED – Various LOD issues on maps.
- FIXED – Some lighting issues on maps.
- FIXED – Drones getting into places they should not be on various maps.
- FIXED – Gadget deployment inconsistencies on various map objects.
- FIXED – Floating gadgets after deployment on some map objects.
- FIXED – Various map assets have floating issues after the surface that they are on is destroyed.
- FIXED – Some map assets made of multiple parts that do not break all at once, the SFX is out of sync.
- FIXED – Various minor issues and inconsistencies with map assets.
- FIXED – Various collision issues with drones/Operators/gadgets across maps.
- FIXED – Various prop projectile destruction fixes on maps.
- FIXED – Some projectile gadgets will warp through specific props.
- FIXED – Players can vault on top of a shelf in 1F workshop of Border.
- FIXED - Players can reach the top of big rocks at EXT Cliffside woods of Chalet.
- FIXED – Attackers can plant the defuser inside the hand truck at B Arsenal Room of Clubhouse.
- FIXED – Bullets can penetrate the Pool table on Coastline.
- FIXED – 1F Toilet wall can be reinforced from a safe position in the bathroom on Consulate.
- FIXED – Metal skylight on Consulate rooftop is not blocking bullet penetration.
- FIXED – Missing collision for gadgets with the desk bars at 2F Hallway of Consulate.
- FIXED – Operators can throw gadgets outside during prep phase by destroying a hatch on Fortress.
- FIXED – Defuser can fall through the metal container in B1 Kayak when planted on top of the ammo box in Kanal.
- FIXED – Breaching charges placed on the floor of 2F Café of Theme Park destroy only one layer.
- FIXED – Defuser can be dropped OOB behind the truck on EXT Fuel Pumps of Outback.
- FIXED – Drones can scan enemy players without being seen through in 1F Nature Room in Outback.
- FIXED – Players can rappel through iron railings on EXT Roof of Yacht.
- FIXED – Operators receive damage through the foosball table if a nitro cell is placed on the other side of it.
- FIXED – TV screens white noise effect still present even when damaged.
- FIXED – Various spectator mode + caster HUD updates and improvements with the update.
- FIXED – Various Menu and HUB fixes.
- FIXED – Various cosmetic updates and fixes.
- FIXED – Purchasing items separately from a bundle does not mark the bundle as ‘Owned’ in the shop menu.
- FIXED - Some character's models appear distorted/missing on the Player HUB while reconnecting to the internet.
- FIXED – Guns sometimes appear on-screen when picking up gadgets.
- FIXED - Several Ubisoft Club Rewards do not display notification after they are redeemed.
- FIXED – Booster timer not updating properly in the Player Hub.
- FIXED – Casters can see OOB on some areas of maps.
- FIXED - Terrorist Hunt map preferences are not applied on Online matches.
- FIXED – Players can get stuck in an infinite loading screen if a player stays in the skip cinematic screen.
- FIXED – Switching weapons while flashed can sometimes cause visual distortions.
- FIXED – Random + Recruit selection options are sometimes missing from the selection menu.
- FIXED – Chat messages typed in too quick succession will not always send.
Rainbow Six Siege News
- Rainbow Six Siege Y5S3 Pre-Season Designer Notes Detail How Thatcher Is Being Nerfed
- Rainbow Six Siege: Sam Fisher, Shadow Legacy Update Revealed
- Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher Is Rainbow Six Siege's Next Operator
- + Show More Rainbow Six Siege News Links (2)
- Rainbow Six Siege Patch Y5S2.3 Live Now
- Rainbow Six Siege Mute Protocol Event Is Live
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com
Join the conversation