PS4 System Software Update 2.50: Sony Lists New Features
The Yukimura update allows 60fps streaming, adds a Facebook friend finder, introduces a system suspend and resume function, and more.
Sony Computer Entertainment Australia has revealed details on the upcoming PlayStation 4 system software update version 2.50, named Yukimura. The update will bring the streaming frame rate up to 60fps from 30fps for both Remote and Share Play, and confirms some details which were leaked last week.
Yukimura will introduce the suspend/resume feature, which will allow players to pause and restart games "near-instantly" with the power button. By doing this, the PS4 can be put into standby mode without interrupting the play session. Additionally, the update will have the console take a screenshot at the moment a trophy is earned in-game, giving players the option to share it.
The update will allow players under the age of 18 using PS4 sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account when they turn 18 years-old. In addition, players will have the option to import Facebook friends directly onto their PS4 friends list.
A number of UI options will also be introduced in the update, including an inverted screen colour option, text-to-speech, bolder fonts, and higher contrast options. The PS4 system software update 2.5 will be available "soon" to PS4 users in Australia.
A full list of the PS4's update features, written by Sony, is copied below:
- Sub-account to master account upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more. Currently, users can upgrade their sub-accounts online.
- Facebook friend search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PSN members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.
- Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps: The ability to customise the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with “Yukimura”. Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play.
- Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make the PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colours on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DUALSHOCK 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.
- Trophy Improvements: We have received a tonne of feedback to improve Trophies. In “Yukimura”, a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.
- Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, “Yukimura” will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com