PS3, Xbox 360 Dark Souls 2 patch fixes bugs and calibrates gameplay
Better multiplayer, less bugs, still hard as nails.
We'll begin emailing you updates about %gameName%.
If you’ve been paying very close attention to Dark Souls II, you may have noticed that it was a tiny bit different yesterday after developer From Software released a new patch.
Version 1.03 should fix some issues with multiplayer, a lot of other bugs, and make a few improvements to Dark Souls II’s interface and controls.
The gameplay itself has also been calibrated in a number of ways. If you look at the full list of changes posted to Dark Souls II’s Facebook page you’ll notice that the health and damage of some area bosses has been reduced, but so were a lot of player abilities, so it’s not like the game is suddenly a walk in the park.
The full patch notes:
- Failing to create Multiplayer session no longer disables use of online items, such as White Soapstone.
- Starting boss fight with the Looking Glass Knight while summoning other players no longer cancels the summoning process.
- Fixed an issue that prevented some bloodstains, illusions, and messages from being displayed.
- Fixed an issue where “Unable to participate in Multiplayer Session” could constantly appear.
- Fixed some instances where the portrait of the person you were summoning was different than the actual character.
- You will no longer be able to take off Covenant rings while being summoned.
- Fixed an issue that would cause some summoned players to fall through the ground at Earthen Peak.
GAME MENU / INTERFACE / CONTROLS:
- Optimized Start Menu and Bonfire Menu performance.
- Trophy icon for “Holder of the Fort” has been fixed.
- Controller now vibrates when blocking an attack
- Bug involving Drangleic Castle door not opening has been fixed.
- Fixed an issue that would cause Souls to be lost upon death with the Ring of Life Protection equipped.
- Fixed an issue that caused some players to fall through elevators while using Binoculars and Magic simultaneously.
- Fixed an issue causing some enemies being hit by arrows at long distances receive 0 damage.
- Fixed an issue preventing the Brotherhood of Blood duels from starting properly.
- Added a message for players that displays after entering the coffin in Things Betwixt
- Fixed an issue where all of the items and objects in an area would reset (Without using a Bonfire Ascetic).
- Fixed an issue that didn’t unlock some items from vendors on 2nd and beyond playthrough.
- Fixed an issue causing the requirements for the Brotherhood of Blood Covenant be 50 too high.
- Licia’s conditions for moving have been optimized.
- Item “Corrosive Urn” – Strength reduced
- Weapon Category “Twinblade” – Durability increased
- Weapon “Moonlight Greatsword” – Made so that this weapon cannot be Enchanted, and slowed down the motion of the weapon
- Armor “Gyrm Warrior Greathelm” – Wieght, Poise, Defense Increased
- Ring “Ring of Thorns” – Damage reduced
- Ring “Old Sun Ring” – Damage reduced
- Sorcery “Soul Spear” and “Crystal Soul Spear” – This spell will now pierce through enemies and is able to cause damage to more than just one enemy
- Sorcery “Soul Greatsword” – Time spell takes to take effect adjusted
- Sorcery “Homing Soulmass” and “Homing Crystal Soulmass,” Hex “Affinity” – Now take less stamina and move faster
- Sorcery “Soul Geyser” – Damage reduced
- Recovery spell motions are now slower
- Miracle “Wrath of the Gods” – Time to determine damage reduced
- Pyromancy “Firestorm,” “Fire Tempest,” “Chaos Storm,” “Flame Swathe,” “Forbidden Sun” – Damage reduced
- Pyromancy “Firestorm,” “Fire Tempest,” “Chaos Storm” – Time to activation made longer
- NPC “Lucatiel of Mirrah,” “Pilgrim Bellclaire,” “Benhart of Jugo,” “Manscorpion Tark” – Defense increased
- Enemy “ Rupturing Hollow” – HP reduced
- Enemies “Hollow Mage,” “Amana Priestess” – Reduced ability to chase user
- Enemy “Hammersmith” – Reduced the length of vibrations after striking ground
- Area Boss “The Last Giant” – Reduced damage
- Area Boss “The Lost Sinner” – HP and damage reduced
- Area Boss “Royal Rat Authority” – Damage reduced
- Area Boss “The Duke's Dear Freja” – Damage reduced
- Area Boss “The Lost Sinner” (2nd time through) – sinner in jail who appears - HP and damage reduced
- Area Boss “Flexile Sentry” (2nd time through) – Nimble Shadow who appears - HP and damage reduced
For more on Dark Souls II, check out GameSpot's review.