Plants vs. Zombies Getting Its Own "Intra-Active" Theme Park Attraction
This sounds like a lot of fun.
Following its announcement of a 4D Mass Effect theme park attraction, Electronic Arts has now revealed that it's creating a "new digital experience" based on Plants vs. Zombies for the Carowinds theme park in North Carolina. Slated to open in spring 2016, this "intra-active 3D game experience" is called Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare: 3Z Arena. It represents a world's first, EA said in a statement.
The attraction is based on the Garden Warfare shooter franchise. But what does intra-active even mean?
EA explains: "The attraction allows players to interact with the opposing team's screen. Guests will step inside the state-of-the-art Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare: 3Z Arena complex decked with 3D technology, massive screens, surround sound, and motion-based seats, to enjoy outrageous and imaginative encounters with their competition. Teams will compete in the Plants vs. Zombies universe during an almost five-minute backyard battle, where they'll shoot screens with blasters and track their scores as they go."
For a closer look at the new 3Z Arena, click through the work-in-progress images in the gallery above. You can also see a bullet point breakdown of the attraction below.
3Z Arena includes:
- 68 motion-based seats equipped with hand-held laser devices
- Nearly 3,600 square-foot arena
- Two 14'6" x 26' screens with independent 5.1 surround sound
- The attraction will run approximately ten times per hour to accommodate between 600-700 people
- Players will be able to purchase photos in the Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare: 3Z Arena retail store
- Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare: 3Z Arena will be located inside the Action Theater, in the County Fair section of the park
Video game publishers are increasingly turning to theme parks to extend their franchises. Earlier this year, Nintendo announced a partnership with Universal Theme Parks, while Ubisoft is building its own theme park in Malaysia with Assassin's Creed and Rabbids attractions.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com