Paper Mario: Color Splash Gets Release Date, Features Talking Paint Bucket
The upcoming Paper Mario game for Wii U releases this year.
Paper Mario: Color Splash's release date announcement was accompanied by a trailer shown during Nintendo's Treehouse E3 livestream, which showed off the upcoming Wii U game and some of its new features.
Color Splash's main mechanic revolves around the new Paint Hammer, which can be used to paint things that have lost their color, solve puzzles, and revive color-drained Toads. There's also a new Battle Card system that's implemented in bouts with enemies. For example, you can use an extinguisher card against a baddie with a fire weapon or summon a Japanese cat figurine with the appropriate card to stomp on enemies.
There's also a new feature that utilizes the Wii U gamepad's touchscreen. At certain points, you'll hit obstacles that need to be overcome. It's these moments where you'll use the touchscreen to cut out pieces of the environment and jump these hurdles.
2007's Super Paper Mario was the last console game in the series, and it received a score of 8.8 in GameSpot's review. Critic Ricardo Torres concluded, "Super Paper Mario's humorous story, accessible gameplay, inventive design, cool visual style, and impressive amount of content give it an undeniable charm."
You can see more of Nintendo's E3 announcements, including details on the new Legend of Zelda game, through the links below.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hands-on Impressions
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Trailer Shows New Weapons, Abilities
- Why Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Link is Right-Handed
- Why Zelda: Breath of the Wild Won't Have a Female Hero
- New 3DS Game Ever Oasis Features Dungeon Crawling, Oasis Building
- New Mario Party Game Coming to 3DS This Year
- New Pokemon, Free-For-All Battle Mode Revealed in Sun/Moon Trailer
Head on over to GameSpot's E3 hub for all the news and impressions from the event.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com