Overwatch Won't Have A New Archive Event Because Of Overwatch 2
Blizzard will keep running Archives with new cosmetics.
Game director Jeff Kaplan said Blizzard isn't adding a new event to the story-driven co-op Archives missions due to the team focusing on the newly-announced Overwatch 2. However, Kaplan confirmed that the team has no plans to abandon the existing game, saying there are still some "cool updates" coming and "new stuff" they want to add.
"We are still going to run the Archives event," Kaplan said. "They will be new skins. There's going to be new cosmetic content. There are also other awesome features coming to the live game that we think you should be excited about."
Kaplan detailed an upcoming selection feature that will let you choose how to spend your time while queuing. You can go to the training room or participate in a new deathmatch mode specifically designed for waiting, or you can fire up Custom Game and/or Workshop and play "whatever the hell you want" in the future. Kaplan didn't specify when this feature will get added to Overwatch.
Overwatch 2 was unveiled during BlizzCon 2019. Though there's no official release date or window announced, Kaplan said the sequel will appear on "every single platform we support today." The game will launch on Nintendo Switch, PC (via BattleNet), PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
- BlizzCon 2019 News: Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, And Everything Else Announced
- New Hero Confirmed For Overwatch 2: Sojourn
- BlizzCon Schedule: Overwatch 2, Diablo 4 Unveiling, And More
- Overwatch 2 Announced, Includes PvP And PvE
- What Overwatch 2 Means For Current Players
- Diablo 4 Announced At BlizzCon 2019
- Diablo 4 Gameplay Trailer Shows The New RPG In Action
- New WoW Shadowlands Expansion Trailer Released At BlizzCon 2019
- Hearthstone Expansion "Descent of Dragons" Announced, Coming In December
- Here's Every Hearthstone "Descent Of Dragons" Card (So Far)
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.