Overwatch PTR Update Makes Big Changes To Widowmaker And Lucio
Test out the new changes right now.
Blizzard has released the full patch notes for the update that's now live on the Overwatch PTR test server. The most notable part of the update is the addition of Overwatch's new Hero, Baptiste, but the patch makes significant changes to several older characters, such as Lucio and Widowmaker, as well.
Baptiste is a Support Hero in Overwatch, whose unique abilities allow him to keep his squad fighting longer and more effectively. He can use Regenerative Burst to heal himself and nearby allies over time, and Immortality Field to prevent friendly players from dying. His Ultimate, Amplification Matrix doubles the damage of friendly projectiles. He can also jump higher than most other Hero characters with his Exo Boots.
In terms of the other Hero characters, the update buffs Doomfist, Hanzo, Lucio, McCree, Mei, Moira, Pharah, Soldier 76, Sombra, Torbjorn, and Wrecking Ball, and nerfs Ana, Orisa, and Widowmaker. The two most notable changes are to Hanzo and Widowmaker. The former has become less effective at detecting enemies with his Sonic Arrow, while the latter's Infra-Sight has become riskier to use. The update also implements over a dozen bug fixes across all its Hero characters, as well as two of its multiplayer maps, Hollywood and Paris. The full list of Hero changes and bug fixes are outlined below.
Overwatch is available on Xbox One, PS4, and PC but the PTR test server is only available on PC. Blizzard uses Overwatch's PTR to test out updates for the game before they go live across all systems, so these patch notes may not reflect every change coming to the full game at a later date.
Overwatch PTR February 26 Update Patch Notes
- Nano Boost
- Heal reduced from 300 to 250
Developer Comments: Giving Nano Boost an instant heal effect enabled players to survive longer and made Ana's ultimate valuable. However, it needs to be slightly less effective for refilling large health pools.
- Rising Uppercut
- Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
- Seismic Slam
- Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
Developer Comments: Reducing the downtime of Doomfist's abilities should make his gameplay feel more fluid.
- Sonic Arrow
- Detection radius increased from 7 to 9 meters
Developer Comments: Because of how dense the environment is on some maps, the Sonic Arrow can feel ineffective in some areas. Increasing Sonic Arrow's detection radius should make it more effective.
- Sonic Amplifier
- Soundwave now counts towards Offensive Assists
Developer Comments: The knockback on Lúcio's Soundwave is a great tool for pushing enemies into situations that get them killed, so they should be rewarded an offensive assist for doing so.
- Fan the Hammer
- Damage reduced from 55 to 50
- Damage per second increased from 275 to 550 after locking onto targets for 2.5 seconds
Developer Comments: After reducing armor's effectiveness for all heroes, Fan the Hammer doesn't need to deal quite as much damage. Increasing Deadeye's damage after being locked on for a bit makes it more effective when attacking high health, static targets (like barriers) and heroes with over 600 health. It will not impact how dangerous this is for heroes under 600 health.
- Endothermic Blaster
- Primary fire damage increased from 2.25 to 2.75 (45 to 55 damage per second)
- Ice Wall
- Health reduced from 500 to 400
Developer Comments: Increasing the damage of Mei's primary fire should make her Freeze and Icicle move combination more potent. Making the pillars on Mei's Ice Wall easier to destroy means less waiting for the wall to disappear on its own and more opportunities to counter it.
- Biotic Grasp
- Heal over time duration increased from 3 to 4 seconds
- Total healing increased from 50 to 65
Developer Comments: These minor changes make Moira's passive healing effect on Biotic Grasp slightly more effective when topping off an ally’s health.
- Fusion Driver
- Movement speed penalty while firing reduced from 50% to 30%
Developer Comments: As a defensive tank, Orisa can have trouble pushing forward with the team. Allowing Orisa to move faster while firing should make it easier to apply pressure on the enemy team and use her barrier in proactive ways.
- Rocket Launcher
- Minimum explosion damage increased from 16.25 to 20
Developer Comments: This change sets the Rocket Launcher's minimum damage to where it was before we rebalanced its direct impact and explosive damage in a recent patch.
- Pulse Rifle
- Damage increased from 19 to 20
- Delay before you can fire the weapon after using Sprint reduced from .5 to .3 seconds
- Tactical Visor
- Can target RIP-Tire and Immortality Field
Developer Comments: This change should potentially allow Soldier: 76 to kill an enemy hero one shot sooner. Reducing the time between when you use Sprint and when you can fire should make the ability more fluid and responsive. Giving Tactical Visor the ability to target Junkrat's RIP-Tire and Baptiste's Immortality Field drone is a quality of life improvement, since these are both critical targets.
- Cooldown is reduced by half when hacking a health pack
Developer Comments: The cooldown on Hack often made it feel less effective to target health packs instead of players. This will make both health packs and players viable targets for hacking.
- Base health increased by 50 armor (250 maximum health)
- Armor gain reduced from 150 to 100
Developer Comments: Torbjörn's survivability was a bit low, so we’ve shifted some power from his Overload ability to his base health.
- Reveals enemy health bars
- Now canceled on death
Developer Comments: Infra-Sight had no counter to its effect, so it now ends when Widowmaker dies. To balance out its higher risk of use, Infra-Sight now reveals enemy health bars to Widowmaker's team.
- Adaptive Shield
- No longer cancels Roll mode
Developer Comments: This will make Adaptive Shields a more powerful survival tool, since being forced out of Roll mode left Wrecking Ball more susceptible to fire.
Fixed a bug where the “Need Healing” callout wouldn’t display in chat if the hero you targeted didn’t have healing abilities
Fixed a bug where, when playing certain heroes, the camera would clip into the hero when looking straight upwards
Career Stats Menu
Fixed a bug where the season labels for Competitive CTF and Competitive 6v6 Elimination didn't display
Fixed a bug where, if switching between Junkrat Skins, one of the bombs on his vest would spin
- Fixed a bug where Ana's clothes would clip into her hip pouch while doing the Yut Nori emote
- Fixed a bug that prevented audio feedback from playing to indicate ammo was low on Ashe's rifle if it had three or fewer bullets
- Fixed a bug that made D.Va very difficult to knock back while she was firing her Fusion Cannons
- Fixed a bug that caused Genji's Dragonblade to end before the deflect duration was complete
- Fixed a bug where Genji would be knocked back unusually far when using Swift Strike to hit Doomfist's Rocket Punch
- Fixed a bug where Hanzo's leg would visibly move while he was in his Meditate pose
- Fixed a bug where Mercy's left knee would bend unnaturally when stunned by McCree's Flashbang
- Fixed a bug that made Orisa very difficult to knock back while she was firing her Fusion Driver
- Fixed a bug where a button on the shoulder of Reaper's Lu Bu skin appeared to be floating
- Fixed a bug where a piece on Reinhardt's back displayed incorrectly while using the Guan Yu skin in the Hammer Down highlight intro
- Fixed an issue that allowed Reinhardt's Earthshatter to hit people further off the ground than intended in specific circumstances
- Fixed a bug where Sombra's stealth exiting sound effect wouldn't play if an emote was used to exit stealth mode
- Fixed a bug where Sombra couldn't quick melee while using her Hack ability
- Fixed a bug where Symmetra would gain ultimate charge while casting Photon Barrier
- Fixed a bug that prevented Torbjörn from using Molten Core in custom games if Ability 2 was disabled
- Fixed a bug that prevented Widowmaker's Venom Mine from damaging a hero if they triggered it at the edge of its trigger radius
- Fixed a bug where the winning team’s hero lineup wouldn't display correctly
- Fixed a bug where the sounds coming from the Nous vous surveillons apartment weren’t playing
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com