Outer Worlds Dev Obsidian's New Game Is As Far From Space As You Can Get
Honey, we shrunk ourselves and three co-op partners.
The Outer Worlds isn't even a month old and already Obsidian has announced its next project--and it's about as far from outer space as you can get. During Microsoft's X019 event in London, the studio announced Grounded, a first-person co-op survival game. Instead of reaching for the stars, you'll be scrounging in the dirt next spring.
In Grounded, you're shrunk to the size of an ant and must survive the deadly conditions of a suburban backyard. You'll have to gather sustenance like dew from a blade of grass and build a base and equipment out of everyday objects, like acorn body armor. You'll be doing this with up to three of your best tiny friends.
Grounded will be released on Xbox One and PC. Microsoft notes that it will be the first Xbox Game Preview title available through its Game Pass service. Xbox Game Studios CVP Matt Booty noted that Grounded was already in the works when it acquired the studio, and that the project "exemplifies the innovation we're excited to see from them in the years ahead."
The Outer Worlds was Obsidian's last independent project, having been published under 2K's new Private Division label, but it is part of Xbox Game Pass. Microsoft has committed that all future first-party releases will be on Game Pass as well, so Grounded and anything else from Obsidian will be part of the subscription service moving forward.
- X019 Inside Xbox News: Halo Reach Coming To MCC, New Obsidian Game, And More
- Lots Of Final Fantasy Games Coming To Xbox Game Pass; Kingdom Hearts Heads To Xbox One
- Xbox Scarlett Won't Be "Out Of Position" On Power Or Price, Says Xbox Boss
- Rare Announces New IP, Everwild
- Halo: Reach Coming To Xbox Game Pass And PC Soon
- Yakuza Series Is Coming To Xbox Game Pass
- Obsidian's Grounded Is Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Meets Rust
- Life Is Strange Dev Reveals New Game, Tell Me Why
- Outer Worlds Dev's Next Game Is As Far From Space As You Can Get
- DmC and Hellblade Dev's Next Game, Bleeding Edge, Release Date Leaked
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.